Saturday, April 2, 2022

Chasing Rainbows

Art copyright Isle O' Foam© Department O' Art Dept.



You might think The Story Of Simon Simopath is a quaint little curiosity, not without charm, but too lightweight to be taken seriously or enjoyed unironically. Yes, it has historical value as the first album release by a pop group on Island records, and as the first pop opera, in the sense of it being a suite of songs with some kind of vague narrative thread. Much like real opera, then. But does it still hold up musically, as it did back in '67 when John Peel described Pentecost Hotel as "the loveliest song you'll ever hear"?

Nirvana was never a band, but the close partnership of the strangely strange yet oddly normal Patrick Campbell-Lyons and Alex Spyropoulos, backed by the cream of the cream London session and studio talent. Chris Blackwell didn't stint, and even the cover was an expensive (and unusual, for the time) gatefold. But the ten track, twenty-four 
minute running time was a head-scratcher. Pop albums back then were generally twelve tracks, even if that amounted to only half an hour on the spindle. Nobody timed albums, but I could count songs, and I knew we were being short-changed. Studying the *cough* story on the inner gatefold gave a clue; Tiny Goddess was mentioned, but not capitalised as an included song like the others. Tiny Goddess - their hit single - had been lifted from the album. Why? Who knows? It was on the second album, so the idea that hit singles shouldn't appear on albums doesn't apply - especially as All Of Us also featured Rainbow Chaser, their biggest hit single. A mystery.

Tiny Goddess
 was backed by I Believe In Magic, no b-side throwaway (Nirvana cut plenty of those) which fit thematically. The melody pivots on a disturbing - and quite deliberate - flat. These two additional songs bring the album up to a respectable run time and complete the story - Tiny Goddess in the position indicated by the sleeve notes, between Pentecost Hotel and I Never Had A Love Like This Before, and I Believe In Magic as an entirely appropriate, and much stronger, album closer.

Lyrically, the fairy-tale 
is dated, but the gentle vocals are delivered with an unaffected and touching sincerity, nothing camp or arch, Donovan fey or U.K. Kaleidoscope twee. The essential innocence (the uncharitable might say naivety) of the era is held like a dragonfly in amber. The idea that the songs could hang together as a story - concept albums didn't exist back then - didn't occur to the writers until they were half way through recording. And it's deceptively heavy stuff, involving alienation, mental institutions, and a side order of centaur, with an unconvincing happy ending.

Melodically, it's rich and generous, tunes all over it, under it, running through it, endlessly refreshing, never running dry. 
A key contributor was mæstro of schlock Syd Dale [left - dude! - Ed.], whose career is otherwise an artistic bust. Here, for some reason, working with what is essentially a pop chamber ensemble, he was inspired to create original arrangements, often putting the musicians through tricky time changes that never sound jarring or forced, perfectly complementing the melancholy beauty of the songs. Syd done good. Listen to the drumming - there's no place-holder time-keeping here. Restrained string and woodwind sections add texture and melodic counterpoint, and often it's the subtle instrumental figures within the arrangement that light the corners of your memory.

Nirvana's subsequent recordings are a queasy mood swing from Champagne to sheep dip. The tension between wanting to rock out, get Euro-pop chart hits, and wallow in show-tune schlock was untenable. Their filler would be filler on 
Now That's What I Call Filler. So I made a personal selection of the tracks from All Of Us and To Markos III that hang together as an album, consistent in tone and quality. The songwriting chops on Chasing Rainbows are very much in evidence, the melodies as effortlessly memorable, but the chamber clarity is gone - the sound is denser, more electric, and the strings tend to the generic. Lyrically, it's more mature and better written. often with a welcome personal directness. The final track, Black Flower, is as powerful as anything from the era, with its extended coda of (anonymous) wah-wah guitar wailing over the orchestration.

But Simon Simopath, especially in its complete form as here, may well be among the loveliest things you'll ever hear. Don't let the lyrical whimsy - the least important element - distract you from one of the subtlest, and most seductive, pop narcotics. 




Tin Pan Alley in its dying days. The most colorful year in London's history shown in typically chilly black and white. Patrick comes across as quiet, sincere, Alex confesses to personal anxiety being the fount of his creativity. Anxiety about what, Alex?


Cover Notes: The art for Chasing Rainbows (which took me, like, forever) goes against their approach for both the second and third albums [left - Ed,]; grim exercises in black despair and horror, maybe reflecting what they felt at the death of the 'sixties dream. They're undeniably powerful images, but would be more appropriate for Black Sabbath. Let's send them out in a blaze of Technicolor (or at least Todd-AO) glory; full-on, unapologetic psychedelia, and a last wave of the freak flag.




40 comments:

  1. How old do you feel? As many years as you've lived? More, fewer? What makes you feel "old"? Is it good or bad?

    Questions, questions - My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening thru a cosmic vapor of invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "feel" like a teenager, just a really ill teenager

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This a good answer, and probably as on-topic as we're going to get, so I'm awarding you the coveted Comment O' Th' Day Award! This handsome trophy, fully 2" high and hand-crafted from genuine imitation Lucite™ will form the centerpiece to anybody's Trophy Case. It features a gilt-effect escutcheon engraved with SAMPLE ONLY and is yours absolutely free of charge* from the usual address!

      *98 bucks handling and delivery. Offer void where prohibited by municipal ordinance.

      Delete
    2. no trophy case here never won any trophy besides a ugliest truck in Ohio once at the local race track for my 64 F250 flatbed

      Delete
  3. Album request:
    "Farquhar Throckmorton III Sings The Great Instrumentals"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where's Teddy Nubkins, Clar? Shall we see if we can find him?

      Delete
    2. I've always enjoyed meeting anyone named Teddy.

      Delete
    3. Older readers may remember Clarence Pune from his "Buck Nekkid With A Blowtorch!" feature in Spicy Mechanic Magazine.

      Delete
    4. His "Wrench of the Month" centerfold is pinned up in my studio.

      Delete
    5. I thought I was more fetching with the Oscillating Nut Tightener.

      Delete
  4. i will have achieved old when i have fully functioning x-ray eyes that can see through EVERYTHING. it will be sad to lose all my delusions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the things I love about getting/being old is that young women seem more comfortable talking to me now than at any other time in my life. The worst thing is other old guys as they are often complete knobs with an overwhelming need to prove that they are better than me. Oh - another benefit of being"old" is being able to respond to "the latest big idea" by saying "yeh, did that years ago - it worked/didn't work - enjoy!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've actually managed to put together a (British) Nirvana comp without the filler, you have performed a great service to humanity. I look forward to wherever it turns up. (The cover of Nirvana's All Of Us, shows a painting called "All of Us", which has an interesting story of its own. Read the comments.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the name of that painting is "The Conquerers", not "All of Us".

      Delete
    2. Faze, that's a fascinating link. It's a really disturbing work of art - more powerful in monochrome, I think - because it glorifies these monsters, the "conquerors", while condemning them. What have they conquered? A field of corpses, a city of ruins. The parade goes on. And on.

      Delete
    3. The original was huge - 474 x 678 cm. (186.6 x 266.9 in.)! That's roughly 15 feet by 22 feet.
      As you say, Farq, it's fascinating.
      A painting for our times - unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. I feel like I'm 22 in my head, & no where else. Lol.

    Love the Nirvana cover art. You exceed at that. Well worth the effort imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Konrad. I hope you enjoy the album. Something of an obsession for me over the last couple of weeks, getting it to sound right. There are plenty of anthologies out there for the completist, but really, the best of Nirvana is in these two discs.

      Delete
  8. There's an ancient Romani proverb: "My future keeps getting shorter"

    My daughter had a friend named Nirvana. The first time I met her, I asked her, "Did your parents give you that name while you were still in utero?" She looked at me and said, "What are you talking about? I just shook my head and said, "Nevermind".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, did Was Craven steal the idea for Freddy's glove from one of the records he liked in college?

    Ah, age. I'm one of the youngsters around here, but holy fuck, since crossing the 40-threshold a couple of years ago I feel I gained ten years in two...

    And we all know that that's the kind of ride where it really is only one-way *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forty is entirely do-able. Fifty is where denial kicks in - you're as young as you feel! Never been in better shape! Sixty is when you really have to accept ageing or you lose the game. Ask Clar about later decades - speak LOUDLY and CLEARLY though.

      Delete
    2. I think I'm the eldest (and best looking) of this here forum at the age of 81.
      I feel my age physically in the knees. (Waiting for 2nd replacement.) But none of that much bothers me as long as I've got my marbles reasonably intact.

      Delete
    3. I need my other knee replacing, but it'll have to wait due to my wife having health issues which take priority. Yes, there's other stuff wrong, but in my head I'm still young and sometimes snottier than
      I was when I was about 18.
      There is, of course, the possibility that this snottiness is from being a curmudgeon...

      Delete
    4. I don't know about the waitlist for free surgery in France, Steve, but I'm guessing that Covid will delay this a few months in Vancouver.
      A smart, almost noble idea to give your wife priority.

      Delete
    5. Breast cancer - so it's a no-brainer. There's no way I could look after her and see her through chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy while recovering from surgery.
      I got my first knee done after a 6 month wait and that was only because the surgeon thought I might enjoy my summer more without having to recuperate. I should be able to get the other one done fairly quickly when the time comes.
      Whatever, it's low on my list of "must dos".

      Delete
    6. Seriously sorry, Steve.
      My wife is in long-term care with advanced Parkinson's.

      Delete
    7. Sorry to hear that, Clarence, and thank you.
      In sickness and in health - all part of the deal. Here's to doing our best for the ones we love.

      Delete
  10. See if you can spot the link in the next line:

    https://workupload.com/file/mzdNdXy3hs8

    Did you spot it, readers? You did? Well done!

    Growing old for me is like being a spectator at an event where everything is being packed up and taken away, very gradually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Growing old for me is like being a spectator at an event where everything is being packed up and taken away, very gradually."

      You have put your finger on something I hadn't hitherto realised about my own experience there, Farq.

      To put it another way, I fell into a coma around 18, carried on normally as I was throughout, then woke from it 30-odd years later to find that all I had learned was about being in a coma.

      Delete
    2. Fanny, there was a time in my life, about fifteen years ago, when I said fuck it, I don't want to die leaving stuff un-done, so I did it. Now, as I watch the party being cleared up, I don't regret a damn thing, and I'm curious to see what's left when it's all gone, even the scenery flats.

      Delete
  11. just played Pentecost Hotel to check out what you're on about - had it and "We Can Help You" on the old Seeburg. Yes the orchestration really works - french horns, harp, kitchen sink. And melody aplenty. They were a fave with Peely, weren't they?

    As for old, hell yes, old. Last night I only got up twice, a record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do download this; it's special. It's not Miles Davis, it won't replace Brian Wilson, but there's something unique and magical about it.

      Delete
    2. I was only familiar with Rainbow Chaser, but this is great stuff. Thank you for opening my ears.

      Delete
  12. Yup, heard it all, & imho you done great. The new levels add a lot. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had never heard them until I recently picked up a 7" single of Pentecost Hotel b/w Feelin' Shattered now this fills in the gaps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was only familiar with Rainbow Chaser from You Can All Join In, Island Records sampler album. But funnily enough I've been listening to the first 2 Nirvana albums recently, that I got from elsewhere. I quite like them, but there is filler, now I have the 5 tracks from the 3rd album, thanks for them Farq.

    ReplyDelete