Thursday, June 10, 2021

Sir Bendigo Wonglepong In Search Of Lost Time Dept. - The Paramounts

Sir Bendigo (far right, with scarf) solicits lift home after gig - "I say, you chaps ..."

 

Sir Bendy tamps his dottle into the grate, pours himself a schooner of Amontillado, and settles back into his favorite chair to wax nostalgic about the birth of rock, pop n' roll!

Your budding cool person [Sir Bendy writes - Ed.] had a choice in the early 60s: Mod, or Rocker? My mother scuppered my brief rocker career by banning both winkle pickers and brothel creepers, although mysteriously Brylcreem was allowed. Rockers were by definition lower-class, whereas Mods had the virtue of being better groomed and not smelling of engine oil.

I was never a proper Mod. I didn’t have a Vespa or a Lambretta, for one thing, although I could occasionally be found getting a lift home from school on the back seat that was usually reserved for girls. I didn’t even have a parka, let alone a sharp suit. I did have a pair of desert boots, though, as worn by my father in the actual desert.

But I did like the music. I was a card-carrying member of the Sue Records Appreciation Society, and my choice collection of singles – Inez and Charlie Foxx, Jimmy McGriff, James Brown, Willie Mabon – gave me a certain amount of cred with actual Mods. The Stateside label was another favourite – The Isley Brothers’ original version of Twist and Shout, Lee Dorsey, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Reed.

By 1963 The Shades [above - Ed.], a scruffy caff on Southend seafront, was Mod Central, easily identified by the number of scooters parked outside. It had a malodorous basement with eggboxes on the ceiling where on Sunday nights on payment of a shilling you found Sarfend’s hottest band, The Paramounts [left - Ed.] bashing out R&R and R&B favourites by the likes of The Coasters, Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis. It was almost as if they were Sue appreciators too – as were what seemed like way too many people jammed into this shoebox. The band consisted of two people who were going to become world famous – Gary Brooker on battered upright piano and Robin Trower on guitar (the Shades was owned by his parents) – and a couple of blokes on bass and drums. The noise they made was sensational – loud, hard-rocking and funky, with Brooker’s gravelly vocals the icing on the cake. (How is it that some people are convincing soul/blues singers while still in their teens – e.g., Brooker, Rod Stewart, Chris Farlow – whereas my most likely option was to be a Val Doonican tribute act?) I was also massively impressed by Brooker’s piano-playing, which was something that differentiated them from the millions of two guitars, bass and drums outfits of the time. It’s not hard to play the What’d I Say intro in the left hand, but when you try to add a right hand it all falls apart – in my experience, anyway. Brooker could do stuff like that and sing at the same time.

I didn’t see them very often – you know, Sunday night, school the next day. In any case it wasn’t long before the band broke out of the Shades. They got a record deal, the Stones called them the best R&B band in the country, and they were gigging in all the cool London places. Inevitably the records were a bit of a disappointment – classy, but lacking the excitement. The first, Poison Ivy, bothered the lower reaches of the charts, but after that nothing. They were Sandy [Sandie, Shirley? - Ed.] Shaw’s backing group for a while, including on a tour with Adam Faith. They were bottom of the bill for the Beatles’ last UK tour in December 1965.

It seems that their last gasp was supporting Cream at one of their early gigs at Warwick University in November 1966. This is very odd – I was actually there, and I have no memory of The Paramounts being there at all. You’d think, wouldn’t you…too busy asking Clapton what his favourite guitar was, probably. And then they broke up of course…

…to reappear ultimately as Procol Harum. By 1969 all the original members of The Paramounts made up Procol Harum, including Chris Copping, who was the original Paramounts bass player. Personal brush-with-fame footnote: I had piano lessons from a woman called Miss Mills – not Mrs Mills, who would have been much more fun. So did Chris. Every so often she would have little musical afternoons in her house, which was a long bus ride away, and I was put into his care (this was pre-60s). He more or less ignored me – fair enough, we went to the same school (as did Robin Trower) and I was a whole two years younger. You could say he’s been ignoring me ever since.

There’s an album called The Paramounts at Abbey Road 1963-70 [in the comments - Ed.]. If you listen to the whole thing you can hear them getting poppier and further away from their roots. The last six tracks, though, were recorded in 1970, and feature Procol Harum, who at that point were all ex-Paramounts, digging out the old stuff in a stretch of spare studio time. It’s more polished than back in ’62-3, obviously, but if you close your eyes and visualise four lads hammering it out in a miasma of sweat and hamburger grease, you begin to get the idea. But really, they were one of those bands you had to see live [gee whiz - Ed.].

 

Sir Bendigo Wonglepong is inventor of the Dreadnought Night Soil Filtration Nethergarment, as worn by Earl Mountbatten. His collection of Hummel Figurines is second only to that of Chris Farlowe.

22 comments:

  1. Sir Bendigo is presently scratching his bald old noggin and wondering what he came into the room for, but I'm sure he'd be delighted to answer any questions you may have ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories, thank you.
    'But really, they were one of those bands you had to see live' - it's often these bands that get forgotten, because there is little or no good recordings of them. At least they 'made it' as Procol Harum, and Trower is one of the best British guitarists still working today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a question for the Sir: how did Keith Reid enter the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Keith Reid and Gary Brooker encountered each other some time after the Pazzas (as nobody called them) broke up. Reid had written some lyrics ("We dance the light fandango etc"), which GB set to JSB-style music. Reid was never actually in PH as a musician AFAIK.
      Sir Ben

      Delete
  4. Another nice one, Bendigo. Did Booker turn cartwheels across the floor at the gig?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorta understood the Mods vs Rockers, Punks vs Skinheads thing but the early 60s outbreaks of violence between Trad Jazz vs Bebop followers always gets me smiling. It's like pitched battles between Little Feat and Steely Dan fans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Paramounts At Abbey Road here. Or apparently "on Spotify" - whatever that is.


    ReplyDelete
  7. The Brits had a real thriving music scene...for youth, I mean.
    The Americans had sports. What a bore.
    In the UK it seems to have been organic, if a bit ragged.
    The U.S. had completely useless pedigree running rampant...
    like Jerry Lewis' kid, Gary (and The Playboys).
    It wasn't mod...it wasn't rock.
    It was just odd!
    It might have been 'a bit too Hollywood'!
    Thank you, Sir Bendigo. Long live the Vespa AND gear oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't have, ahem, "mockered" that American scene for
      nothing! (For some reason, your comment reminds me of the time,
      maybe 20 years ago, when I was at a yard sale in Burbank and,
      to my great excitement, spotted a big ol' stack o' wax.
      Unfortunately for me, the whole pile turned out to be Bobby
      Shermans!) On the other hand, my friend Brad claims to have
      seen Gary Lewis puking drunk and passing out at some dive bar
      in Azusa, so there must surely have been peaks to go along
      with the valleys.

      As for myself, I was a teenager in England during the later 1970s.
      The mods were gone, but I did have occasion to mix with rockers,
      Teds, greasers, glam/glitter fans, skinheads, Global Village
      Trucking Company-brand stoners, and louts of the type that I
      somewhere heard described as Smoothies.

      I moved to Southern California at the age of 16, just in time to
      miss the earliest stirrings of British punk. It seemed to me,
      oblivious as I actually was, that the youth culture here
      consisted exclusively of (a) what were called Soshes, i.e.,
      Socialites and (b) Loadies. The Loadies were the ones who had
      the music, which so far as I could tell consisted of left-over
      hippie albums plus Lynyrd Skynyrd. And the Soshes, of course,
      were the ones who had . . . the sports!

      In reality, the musical landscape around LA was more variegated
      than that, as several issues of Slash magazine came to attest.
      Even so, it's always been an improbably small world, at least
      to me. Perhaps that's because I myself am a little on the
      idiosyncratic side. For example, one of the first records
      I ever bought (at a time when my friends were scampering down
      to Woolie's in search of Mud and Slade and whatnot) was from
      a charity shop: a 1961 Outlaws single comprising "Valley of
      the Sioux" b/w "Crazy Drums." To be sure, it wasn't as if
      I understood that, by picking up an old Ritchie Blackmore 45
      produced by Joe Meek, I was blundering into a distant past
      to which none of my peers were prepared to give the
      slightest thought.

      But now, as I read through these pieces from Sir Bendigo, or
      at least from another person of the same name, I find it
      remarkable to consider that I reside practically up the
      street from one of the two Ice Houses (and, incidentally,
      that I'm personally acquainted with a sometime member of
      Beefheart's Magic Band) as well as that I'm weirdly,
      almost wrongfully familiar with so many of the acts on
      those British package tours from generations before my time.

      Delete
    2. I'd say that this comment is too damn swell to be a comment, but comments here on th' IoF© are oft-times the meat and not the gravy. So a terrorist fist-bump on the upper arm for all the come-with guys who put their towels of the IoF© beach loungers.

      Delete
    3. Point of order, Crab Devil: the original mods had gone but there was a mod revival in the late 70s, kicked off by The Jam probably. I remember too The Merton Parkas, who came from Merton amazingly enough.

      Consulting Wikipedia to refresh my memory I found this amusing bit about how hard it is to keep track of youth subcultures, particularly when they're bashing the living daylights out of each other: "Another British tradition that returned at the same time was the penchant for members of youth subcultures to go to seaside resorts on bank holidays and fight members of other subcultures. This originated in the early 1960s with the mods and rockers fighting each other at places such as Brighton. The phenomenon returned in 1969 through to 1970 with skinheads fighting Teddy boys and bikers. In 1977 it returned yet again, with punks fighting Teddy Boys at Margate, and revival skinheads fighting Teddy boys, bikers and rockers at Southend and Margate. This carried on until 1978. In 1979 and 1980, the resorts became major battlegrounds on bank holidays for young skinheads and mods together against Teddy boys and rockers. Some of the main resorts involved were Margate, Brighton, Southend, Clacton, Hastings and Scarborough." The Revival Skinheads passed me by, I must confess...

      Congratulations on the Outlaws single!

      Sir Ben

      Delete
  8. In a private email, Bendy apologises for his absence from the comments for a few days because he is going to Cobber Camp for the Cultral Desensitization Program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah PROCOL HARUM without whom I probably will not be there writing, without whom I would not have gone to the festival of wight and perhaps without whom I would not have built up a collection of records, then CDs of a few dozen of a thousand copies including more than a hundred copies of A WHITER SHADE OF PALE (I have always been excessive in my passions) A whiter shade was the first song for which I put a coin in the jukebox, the first for which I created a cover because the English copy was without, the first also which gave me the desire to learn English which however was the material for which I failed to have my patent because of my long hair. Of course my first lps bought the same day were SERGENT PEPPERS and Their SATANIC but the third was again the 1st PROCOL HARUM which disappointed me because there was no AWSOP, but subsequently SHINE ON BRIGHTLY a little more the taste of complete lists than I had already taken a little with the BEATLES and The STONES.
    THE PARAMOUNTS I only knew them in the 70s with first with their first EP that a friend who worked for French television gave me then the five English singles, then the English ep before the lp Whiter Shades Of R&B.
    as for KEITH REID he was an integral part of the group see the HOME or GRAND HOTEL pochetes and he joined GARY BROOKER in many interviews.
    And so it was ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a nice, comprehensive but not too unwieldy edition of the first Procol album, with WSOP (and Homburg), and the groovy pink cover. An amaaaaazing band, totally their own sound.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haveta add, though but, they had the shittiest production sound, possibly of any major 'sixties band.

      Delete
  11. Very cool to read this kind of reminiscence, be they real or imaginary. I briefly pine for a less boring existence, then I remember that Avoiding Unnecessary Excitement is, if not a Life Goal, certainly a Deeply Rooted Personality Attribute after so many years of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage counsel here - be like Hazy Dave and seek out necessary excitement.

      Delete