Monday, June 28, 2021

Are Fronds Electric? Dept.

Four Or Five Guy© Bambi garners a swell trading card for his long-awaited IoF© premiere!

I'm sure [writes Bambi - Ed.] some of the Four Or Five Guys© will be familiar with The Bevis Frond, but I'm betting not all of you. The Bevis Frond is essentially Nick Saloman, who does vocals and plays guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards. He is also the producer and songwriter. Between 1986 and 1990 he recorded and released five albums on a home studio setup, playing it all himself. Although British they are more popular in Germany and Italy than in Britain. 

As a record collector, I would often get the train to London, to check out the great record shops the big city provided. On one visit in 1990 I bought Any Gas Faster by The Bevis Frond, this was it, punky, psychedelic music with most of the songs about four minutes long and I loved it. This their/his sixth album was recorded in a proper studio, with some help from his friends. Soon I was able to buy the earlier albums and many of those that followed, and they were all good, yet none of my friends seemed to know much about them. It is also rare for me to enjoy everything an artist releases, and particularly for over 35 years. Their cult status making them 'my' band, probably has something to do with it.

The Bevis Frond became a touring band in the '90s, with ex-Hawkwind bass player Adrian Shaw being a constant friend and accomplice. Drummers would come and go, but every time they were great live. Now a two guitars, bass and drums band, I hope they return after the current situation eases.
 
So what I hear you say! Well, I really loved Nicks voice, the songs and musicianship are great, and I believe more people would like them if only they had the chance. So I've compiled an hour of tunes, recorded between 1990 and 2000.
 
The first five songs are from the New River Head album from 1991 - this is regarded as one of the best Bevis Frond albums. High in a Flat is from a 7'' single that came with The Bucketful of Brains Fanzine. Hole Song 2 is from the 1997 album North Circular. Busted is a bit of a freakout credited to Scorched Earth from Fed To Your Head 2001. The final four tracks are from a Cliff Richard and the Shadows covers ep released in 1993 featuring Nick's daughter on vocals on one track, and I believe only ever available on vinyl.
 
I hope some of youse enjoy what you hear and investigate the Bandcamp page. Unfortunately on e-bay cd's and vinyl are quite expensive to buy, but I'm sure there will be mp3s on blog or torrent sites for those freeloading bums amongst you. 
 
A T-shirt design what Bambi designed for a T-shirt [left - Ed.]
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's a great concert introduction to the band, and properly filmed for German T.V.:
 

 

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Link will only be available until Sun 4th July

      Delete
  2. I have some history with the Fronds - bought every album as it appeared, from the first to New River Head, the originals on Woronzow (?). Loved the first, but personal diminishing return on investment issues ground my Nick Salomon funding project to a halt. Everyone's mileage differs. Thanks to Bambi for supplying images in addition to link and screed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known you would be familiar with The Fronds. I agree the first is great, and they still play tracks from that album in their live sets. Nick released some interesting albums by other artists on Woronzow - The Lucky Bishops released a few albums and played in my town a couple of times. Thanks for putting this in the IoF©.

      Delete
  3. Saw them at the first Terrastock in 1997. Shaw on bass and Andy Ward (??, I think--drummer from Camel) on drums. Nick played my friend's, Bob Jaz (who organized the first festival), guitar. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great band (artist?). I also don't find the quality to be entirely consistent across albums, but that's relatively minor. Thanks for the TV link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Him!!!
    His first trip to the states in 19??(mary lou lord had had a hit with his ???), 4 of us traveled a hundred and fifty miles , (that's 5500 kilometeers or something) to see him in Baltimore.

    I was with my brother in music since we were 5, The head of Distortion recods, and some looney who wandered around the streets of downtown Baltimore taking pictures of doors(2 of which I still have).
    The stage was the floor and I stood 2 feet from him(62 litres), the entire show.
    After he was the sweetest guy and talked to us for 45 minutes (three trips around the moon), and answered every question.
    Afterwards we went down the street to the bar Where HOMICIDE was filmed. Which probanly is one of the reasons I Can't remember names.
    (oh the guy who took pictures of the doors which I mstill have also Took a great Picture of Nick..still have it on my wall.
    Have never missed a release.
    john

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lou Lord did the song Lights are Changing I think. Also Teenage Fanclub covered He'd be a Diamond.

      Delete
  6. Another Zelig moment but absolutely true I assure you. In the late eighties I had the ignominious task/ pleasure of running a dodgy second hand record basement on Walthamstow High Road just up from the market. The proprietor one Kelvin was an old barrow boy with a mullet haircut. The upstairs was a chart return shop but the modly basement was vinyl heaven. I had various interesting customers like the old guy who would show me his shadows ep collection every week. In amongst the punters was I was told later one Mr Bevis Frond who lived across the road apparently. I have vague memories and frankly never heard his stuff until now. Maybe I helped shape some tunes with my stock..who knows. Other punters were East 17 who bought James Brown 45 toons to sample.....so now you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick is a legendary record hound. Another Rock Star known for his vinyl passion is Marty Willson-Piper out of The Church.

      Delete
    2. I think Nick moved out of Walthamstow about 2010. Until the pandemic happened he ran Platform One Records, a vinyl record store in Bexhill, East Sussex, chiefly selling used 'rock' vinyl. Not sure if he's still doing that now.
      I once met Nick at a gig and he is a lovely guy, however I made the mistake of saying something like "It's only football" after hearing his team QPR had just been beaten that afternoon, he gave me a look suggesting I was more than stupid.
      Another unusual record hound is Steve 'interesting' Davis the snooker player. His favorite band is French prog/jazz/zuel group Magma, who rarely came to the uk, Steve having a bit of money, decided to pay for them to come over and play in London in the 1990's. Steve Davis has also formed a musical partnership with guitarist/DJ Kavus Torabi.

      Delete
  7. I believe Steve Davis also a massive Soul fan and actually funded a magazine at one point but I may have dreamt that. His new LP was reviewed in record collector recently is pretty out there...here a interview with the dull lad..

    https://longlivevinyl.net/2017/03/20/steve-davies-interview/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'd also heard that.

      Here he is playing at Supernormal Festival (30 minutes) professionally filmed.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_zvF87bO8

      Delete
  8. Thanks Bambi! Dig the Frond and it's great to have some of these rarer items which I never would have gotten to hear otherwise. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it's not too late to join the party. If you'd like a dozen more Bevis, mostly vinyl-only, rarities from the past decade this may be for you: the 2011 "Estate" 4-song ep, the 2012 Record Store Day single, and six Fruits de Mer compilation tracks.

    https://www95.zippyshare.com/v/ty4WwhlU/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Swami. It's never too late for anything here.

      Delete
    2. Wow thanks Swami, most of this stuff is new to me. That's my listening for today sorted, cheers.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Swami, great to here those rare tracks.

      Delete