Monday, April 12, 2021

Like, Digsville! Dept. - Grover Washington

Watch out! This swell platter rushes at you from 1972 in a time tunnel vertigo swirl. Grover's made more albums than you've made hay, but this one is super-special. His second as headliner, it epitomises the adventurousness back when pretentiousness and over-production weren't an issue for anyone but beetlebrowed jazzbos, who being mostly white and middle class were well qualified to keep the torch of True Jazz burning while black guys had to get out and earn a living.

Kudu label boss Creed Taylor still gets the critic's sneer for allegedly sweetening jazz into jello, but that's an insult to everyone who made music like this. There's nothing in professionalism and craft, in knowing what you're fucking doing, that devalues jazz. And these guys are following the tradition established (I think - I'm no music historian) [you got that right - Ed.] by Duke Ellington. The roster of virtuoso musicians here is dizzying. Looking at the back line first, always the right thing, you'll see Bernard Purdie, Billy Cobham, and Richard Davis. Uh-huh. In between them and Grover we have Cornell Dupree, David Spinozza and Eric Gale on guitar, Richard Tee on keys, and full-budget horn and Nice Jewish Boy string sections. Bob James writes charts for tunes by Aretha Franklin, Bill Withers, and ... Henry Purcell? Yup. The rug-sporting harpsichord-botherer of th' Baroque grabs his composer royalties - and jazz cred - at last.

If all this makes the album sound in some way worthy, or due academic respect, that was far from everybody's mind when the album was cut. It's a freaking blast.

Note sartoriality.


34 comments:

  1. I'll loadup this as soon as I pared me feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's where I left those pants. He cut some great albums in that jazz/funk/soul genre. Mr. Magic was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a classic of its kind. Ron Carter's Bass work is always a highlight.

    If you dig this, you should check out Hank Crawford's "Help Me Make It Through the Night"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Crawford. Was fortunate enough to get to meet with Mac Rebenack, a/k/a Dr John a few times. He told me that his favorite recording project that he did wih another artist was one he did with Crawford, Roadhouse Symphony.

      Delete
    2. How cool is that???

      Roadhouse Symphony is very nice, Hank tears it up, as does David "Fathead" Newman and Houston Person.

      Always thought "Fathead" should have done an album with Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson. "Fathead Meets Cleanhead"

      Delete
    3. My only encounter with the good Dr. was time at the Kingfish when he had come along with The Meters and of course went on and frankly stole the show by which I mean burned the effin' place down. I worked the stage door and he tipped every one of us who worked backstage.

      Delete
    4. That's a fantastic story, Eric. What a generous guy!

      Delete
    5. I think I was at that show.

      Delete
    6. Reach around, buddy. Reach around.

      Delete
  4. Where can I find Hank Crawford's "Help Me Make It Through the Night"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "anonymous", check back later. I have it. Making up a name for yourself makes things acceptably personal - here, have this one: Irving.

      Delete
    2. Irving (Hank Crawford)April 13, 2021 at 10:19 PM

      Thank you. I will look for the post.

      Delete
  5. Somebody's got some big damn feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Merci!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3cquFS6_wU

      Delete
    2. Been here 8 days. Heard our first siren yesterday. We would literally hear sirens every hour in NO. Don't miss a damn thing thus far.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for Grover, he's always been one of my favorites. Not sure if I've been here before, anyway, greetings, I'll drop by from time to time to see what you're all up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Bob. The Isle O' Foam© may not be the easiest geography to map, but you'll never know what you'll stub your toe on in the sand.

      Delete
  8. I say, chaps. The mention of Bernard Purdie makes me wonder if any of you are able to share the 2 Hummingbird LPs that he played on, way back in the mid-70s? They be called "We Can't Go On Meeting Like This" and "Diamond Nights". Oh, and can anybody confirm that, when hired for a session, "Pretty" Purdie used to erect a couple of boards on easels congratulating his current employer on making such a wise, and potentially hit-making, choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both in my crawl space. I'll loadup them with pleasure later, unless someone wants to help me out, along with the Hank Crawford album requested by Irving.

      Delete
    2. You're a top bloke, Farq. A proper diamond geezer.

      Delete
    3. Here's Hummingbird's first, without Purdie, but with Conrad Isidore, who's popped up here from time to time. (This is basically the Jeff Beck Group without Beck).




      Delete
    4. Sweet. As a fella in Dublin once said to me, may you live so long that the hairs on your arse grow to sweep the ground.

      I had all of these at the time, as I was familiar with Bobby T & Max M's work from the Streetwalkers. Great to hear them again.

      Delete
  9. This conversation reminded me of an album I lost on a hard drive melt down. If anyone has:
    Hank Crawford - Soul Of A Ballad
    I would love to hear it again!
    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete