![]() |
| Foam-O-Graph© - "Making Your World - Make Sense!" |
You'll know cheeky diminutive funnyman Reg Varney [above - Ed.] from TV's long-running series Blimey! You Can See Her Knickers! but did you know he's something of a jazzrock authority? [I'm guessing not Ed.] That's right, music enthusiasts! Reg kept the great cow-faced British public happy thru the war years [up to '69, then - Ed.] with his cheery chuckle and lecherous eye for the ladies, so he seemed the obvious choice to review Mrs. Santana's new jazzrock waxing! Take it away, Reginald!
And a big hi-de-hi-de-ho to all you jazzrock fans out there! Ding ding! Room for more inside! Farq lent me this new LP by Cindy Blackman Santana to review. Apparently hubby Carlos gave her permission to make her own record, and I'm all for the little ladies being allowed their time outdoors. It's the times, innit? The more bras burned the better, say I! Phwoar! But on a serious note, Mrs. Santana plays the drums, and I'm sure even the most feminine feminists would agree with me that this is a man's job! We men are built stronger in the muscles and frankly have you ever known a dolly bird be on time? (laughs) So all credit to her for trying, say I, but don't forget hubby's dinner needs to be on the table!
What's the record like, then? Well, in all honesty like, I ain't played it. I'm a bit put off by the Blackman thing to be honest - what's that about? And like I say, a girlie playin' the drums goes against common sense! Do me a favour! They'll be drivin' the buses next! Ding ding! Fares please! (cackles)
Thank you, Reginald! Th' Four Or Five Guys© may have noticed [again, my guess is not - Ed.] I have substituted my own cover design for the original, which made my brain hurt. Here it is:
This looks like ... nope, I give up. It defies coherent thought and rational analysis. It makes the cover for Foreign Tongues look strangely beautiful. What has she got on her feet? Elf sneakers? What are her legs doing and where are they going? It looks like her image has been cut out with safety scissors in a school project for blind children. The phrase what the actual freaking fuck seems applicable. Here's my replacement, suitable for framing:
Anyway, as on previous Mrs. Santana albums, hubby Carlos and barbecue buddy John McLaughlin contribute fretwork, and they're the least interesting tracks on the album. Only occasionally during the over-long running time do I yell stop playing the goddamn drums already! and it's a very creditable outing in The Genre That Refuses To Die. Download in the comfort of your own home as the world burns.
This post inspired by a thwarted desire to charitably reassess Mr. Varney's elusive genius. I was right first time.



Is it unseasonally hot where you live? Is livestock floating down the street? Take a look out the window and report back.
ReplyDeleteIts been hitting the low 40s in Seville for the past few days, but headed to the cooler climbs of Galicia on Saturday where the temps stay around 32.
ReplyDeleteHere on the south coast of England, we have survived our forth heatwave, just. A few local heath fires, but the floating of livestock will start in February. Today cloud cover, blessed relief. Pmac reports a cooler 32 in Galicia! That has been the temperature here during the heatwaves and I cannot cope. I am usually a very active chap, but during this summer I have done very little, it is too hot for me.
ReplyDeleteIf only we had been warned that this might happen, maybe we could have adjusted our behaviour.
Nah. They'd like to blame it on us, but the destruction of the eco-system is on them, the greedy industrialists, the 1%, and they don't give a shit, because the end of the world is for us suckers, the little people who pay taxes and believe in democracy. Climate change was always out of our control, no amount of recycled water bottles was ever going to be enough.
DeleteDon't forget the umbrella
Deletehttps://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/gettyimages-2286804086-20260725105625790.jpg?q=w_1576,c_fill/f_webp
The beach resort at the end of the universe.
DeleteYes, every morning at dawn they blow the ash away with a big fan, so the sand is shiny and clean for the holidaymakers convenience.
DeleteHot in Lunnon. Incidentally I used to drink in a pub in Park Road, up from Baker Street in the late sixties, and Varney would sit in a corner nursing a pint always on his tod.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, a 4/5g© reveals himself to be an A-list celeb!
Delete'Lunnon"? Wot sorta slang colloquialism is that fer chrissakes? Please refer to the capital/metrollops by its original Roman name, ie "LonDonegan" as befits the importance of the place.
DeleteLonDonegan made the best British pop record of the 50s with his version of Betty & Dupree - Betty Betty Betty
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRfoUSEz18
Here in Texas, it's the usual 100 degrees F with a 20% chance of a teaser shower. The floating livestock were a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to the cold front Saturday; only 98 degrees F!
ReplyDelete...add, no I'm not a bot, just haven't had enough coffee yet!
DeleteWhat I miss about Texas: our youngerchild, bbq, HEB,...I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
DeleteWhat I do not miss about Texas: the politics, the heat, the guns...
It's a gorgeous day in the DC metro with the perpetual threat of political insanity
Gotta love HEB! I make the pilgrimage 2 or 3 times a week. As for the guns: as long as they provide the BBQ (especially the venison we had when we lived in the hill country), I'm OK with. Politics haven't been fun since Ann Richards & Kinky Friedman died. But, ONWARD thru the fog!!
Deleteso true--and appreciate the Oat Willie's reference
Delete72, drizzle and cool to the north of Babs.
ReplyDeleteAs Adrian Cronauer would say:
ReplyDelete"It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking.”
"The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.”
I hasn't rained here in weeks and barely rained at all in the last 2 months. I never seen the lawn look browner and they reckon, another heatwave, the 3rd?,4th?, 5th? in the UK this summer, is on the way with the obligatory hosepipe ban to boot. We've already burned out two electric fans. What's good ole Blighty coming to I ask????
Southern Californian here...uh, it has been the same this time of year where I live for the last fifty two years pretty much give or take. It's called SUMMER! Time to go to the beach!
ReplyDelete~ Jon
ps
It's pretty much always time to go to the beach here though, considering the abundance of beach bunnies we have and all...
pps
I do agree with this 100%:
"but the destruction of the eco-system is on them, the greedy industrialists, the 1%, and they don't give a shit, because the end of the world is for us suckers, the little people who pay taxes and believe in democracy."