![]() |
| Unusually Sensitive and Artistic editorial illustration from Foam-O-Graph© |
Yes probably, Morrison was the insufferable, sulky, belligerent drunk he's written off as. So what? It's not like he's going to come by your house and piss on your couch while slurring half-remembered lines from Baudelaire. You don't have to put up with his inconsiderate egocentricity, so what's your problem?
A mediocre poet, you say airily. Well, being a mediocre poet is more than not being a poet at all, which is what you are, you bum. And he was a better poet than many poets who didn't look so good in leather pants.
When the still sea сonspires an armor
And her sullen and aborted currents
Breed tiny monsters
True sailing is dead
And her sullen and aborted currents
Breed tiny monsters
True sailing is dead
Yebbut, he was so-oo pretentious! As I never get tired of hearing myself type: pretension is the mother of art. Without that vaulting ambition, nothing is achieved.
He couldn't actually, you know, sing? Here's John Mayer, who understands the technical aspects of singing better than I do:
He’s most commonly described as a baritone because his voice sits comfortably in a lower tessitura, with a dark tone and chest-dominant production. His range wasn’t about flashy high notes—it was about power, color, and attitude.
- Comfortable power in the low-mid range
- A naturally darker, thick tone
- Strong speaking-to-singing connection
- Less emphasis on bright, ringing top notes
- Slow, confident timing
- Controlled roughness
- Minimal vibrato (often more straight tone)
Morrison didn’t build his identity around vocal acrobatics. He built it around command. Here’s the big mistake: people think Morrison equals “sing low.” What he actually did was sing heavy.
This is good stuff, right? Read the whole piece here. So yes, he could sing. Like a motherfucker. And he had one of the most immediately recognisable voices in rock (or anywhere).
Morrison was one of the great frontmen. Yes, I know about frontwomen, we had Gracie here a few days back. There are no frontmen no more, no larger-than-life figureheads, not nohow. None. Guys who can command the attention of an audience through sheer intensity of performance, through their wild, burning presence. Elvis, James Brown, Iggy Pop. And Freddie Mercury, perhaps the last of the breed, not that I give a toss for his Saturday morning car wash music.
What we have today in the place of this magnetic electric planetary pull is niceness. Paradigm: Chris Somebody, the singer with Coldplay (is that a group?). Performers today are respected for niceness. All that testosterone strutting is a bit cringe, right? Mr Somebody is doubtless a nice guy. So, I'm sure, are Tedeschi and Trucks. None of them is likely to get his [or her - Ed.] tackle out on stage. I doubt there's a line of groupies at the stage door eager to suck them off or blow coke up their ass through a bendy straw. A shoulder pat, perhaps! A shared shy grin? ROCK AND FUCKING ROLL! Being in a Coldplay audience must be like wallowing through a sloppy sludgy soup of niceness and affection. I'm like, literally crying with niceness here! Which may be preferable to a mosh pit hammer party, but I'm not sure.
Morrison was our last bastard Dionysian, howling down the ancient days; stoned, immaculate, and absolutely live.
"It's the pictures that got small."

Un vrai cri de coeur!
ReplyDeleteYou don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.
DeleteIndians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding
ReplyDeleteGhosts crowd the young child's fragile egg-shell mind
Robert Smith is still doin it and doin it and doin it
ReplyDeleteBob Smith is almost the perfect anti-morrison. An anonymous, chubby everyman thrown up by the "anyone can do this" punk movement.
DeleteBy all appearances, that's correct. Also a poet, and still doin it and doin it and doin it (the shows, the drinks & drugs, and the music)
DeleteAnd there's little to no prospect of him putting aside his beef with Johnny Marr to reform the Smiths, not even for the Hall Of Fame induction ceremony.
ReplyDelete"You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I were to say to you
Your company is anything but dire
Come on, Zippo, light my fire
I'm wearing a petrol-cologned tyre
Get me on the cover of -
Py-re!!! (celebrities and wannabes self-immolating suicidal-disgust journal edited by Jan Palach)
ANON RF: Good God, Mr T [III], I agree with every fookin' word in your intro. I've always thought he was an exceptional singer (or delivererer). And yes, we need MORE BALLS in rock music, thank you very much. This Niceness Plague that's been going around for the last couple of decades really rots. You don't have to be mean and ugly in your personal life, but onstage... tear the roofs off the suckers!! [See Bill Hicks on the subject.]
ReplyDeleteI have the occasional squint at imgur (a web site) which gives me a worrying insight into the Young Woke American. Somebody mentioned Captain Beefheart, and the responses were - never heard of him - heard of him but not his music - HE DROVE ONE OF HIS MUSICIANS TO A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN. This immediately got him thrown into the Cancel Crematorium with Vlad The Impaler and other non-woke boomers. I bet Ed Sheeran never drove one of his musicians to a nervous breakdown.
DeleteThom is also an opposite of Jim in the swagger dept. at least...but he is a poet:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6qhk3tX2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL4mtAIpPcU
Don't often get tired of Tom as soon as I do of Jim either...
~ Jon
ps
A tangent re: the Lizard King
From what I've read, ayahuasca and/or DMT type psychedelics that I'm sure Jim was fond of...many users see reptile like humanoids...consult erowid for further information:
https://www.erowid.org/
Her cunt gripped him like a warm friendly hand
ReplyDelete(from An American Prayer, The Movie)
Poetry doesn't have to be difficult.
Nice is generally not something I want when attending a rock gig. I’m not sure what a ‘mosh pit hammer party’ is (the hammer bit I’m not sure about) but some of my favourite gigs have been in or more accurately near a mosh pit. A feeling of extreme excitement or danger, but rarely was it really dangerous, although I do remember about thirty years ago my glasses dropped on the floor and smashed at a Motorhead gig, that was an expensive lesson. Despite his flaws Morrison was a great frontman.
ReplyDeleteOn a leave Freddy Mercury alone tangent.
Freddy Mercury music on a Saturday morning at the car wash! what are you thinking FT3? AFTER you’ve done the car wash, buy the wife some flowers and THEN play the music of Queen and Freddy when you get home while you arrange the lovely blooms. It’s what I do every Saturday* to brighten up my groovy hippy pad. :-)
* Once or twice anyway.
The Jim Morrison Years section of the Pat Sajak Diaries is an eye opener beyond the to be expected exhortations about Jim's eye watering BO. Party animals to the max! In the 70s, as a probationer to the OTO, Ananael138 said Jimmy Page was a dilletante. The only two musos with authentic occult interest were Jim Morrison. His poetry holds up, even for the noninitiate and even when they have no earthly idea what he's on about Daddy was involved in the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Ananael138 also cited Mongo Santamaria as authentic.
ReplyDeleteOops, Jim Morrison and Robert Fripp. I'm bouncing around in the back of a cab on the way to get a root canal.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a tortured soul...
ReplyDeleteMr. M lived on the same block as I did, albeit 25 years before I rented that apartment in 1985...and of course I didn't know it at the time. I could have seen his bedroom window from my bedroom window, had I known about it.
ReplyDeleteI think a little of your glamour has rubbed off on us, drafter.
DeleteA little penicillin G will clear that up before it gets serious.
DeleteHe was a god (from Manzarek's lips) and mesmerizing as well. Think you have to include Roth in that select few......say what you will about arrogance, the guy had attitude. Quite a showman
ReplyDeleteI saw him last week at a greasy-spoon burger joint in East LA, crooning Riders on the Storm while flipping burgers. His voice is shot, but he's a great cook!
ReplyDeleteThis is Q-Anon bollocks. He's buried at Stonehenge, with Jimi Hendrix. That's why they had to fence it all off.
DeleteJim Van Morrison (he dropped the Van when he left The Netherlands) came from the Dutch southern western isles and died in jail where he spend his last years for having shot Kurt Corbain, alledgedly because he had stole Mr Van Morrison's lyrics which proved to be not right, the lyrics became unreadable over spilled wine. In his defence Mr Van Morrison claimed he never drank wine. And it is true he was buried at Stonehenge besides Mr Hendriks (heir to the Hendriks Compound Feed United family business)
DeleteLyrically he's no Sammy Hagar. But then they don't teach rhyme in film school. Now where did I stash that L-25 at, man?
ReplyDeleteIma philistine apostate, I know--no me gusta or at least no comprendo. OTOH, bastard managed to get interred in Père Lachaise, which is the dream, though I'd be hoping for something facing the Mur des Fédérés, myself. "Vive la Commune!" and all that.
ReplyDeleteMorrison is for the philistine, not the æsthete.
DeleteDear Viscount Farquhar, I have shared links to the Morrison article since catching folk struggling to find you (sic!) and since seeing the band in that there Lunnun at t’ Roundhouse back then . . . lifelong fan . . . . of you too!
ReplyDelete[I purged my magic cookie for this site, and now can read it again. Thank goodness; withdrawal symptoms had started!]
ReplyDeleteAgree: some of his poetry is very good, and the mediocre stuff is better than many. The material on the first two studio albums is generally of a higher level, but oh, well, I can and do still listen to the other stuff. Part of my continuing interest is pure nostalgia: my family went to Venice Beach in the 1960s with some regularity (even more at Will Rogers State Beach, which is several miles north), and Doors music captures a vibe that I saw with Really Big Eyes (occasionally, while holding my nose). We can separate the behavior of the artist from the art, although I don't agree with utterly discounting or "excusing" the former. But everyone has to live their life, and comments from the peanut gallery rarely have any effect.
Thank you for the link to John Mayer. I was quite prepared to ignore him, but... well... it may be "Dead and Slow," but it's still decent music, of which he's a big part. And the tape of him and Bobby Weir playing acoustics and singing sweet, somewhere in Jackson Hole, is really quite my cup o' tea!
D in California
Hmmm... different John Mayer from the one who makes pop hits and Dead & Co., I think. Doesn't matter, that's a pretty good site.
DeleteD in California