![]() |
| Outstanding in her field ... |
Charter Four Or Five Guy© Sitarswami, a legend on th' IoF for his unique contributions, sent me a link to this frankly awesome remix of Atom Heart Mother. It's by a collective calling themselves MQR, and their website trumpets a metric shitload of remixes made without profit in mind, to be given away freely to fans because, hey man, the Man can't take our music, right? Except that there are - perhaps predictably - no links to download them. Gee whiz and uh-freakin'-huh, right?
Mr. Swami managed to source a handful, and among them is this stunning remix of one of my favourite albums, Atom Heart Mother, now given away freely to you, th' 4/5g©. It's that rare thing, a remix that improves on the original in every way, thus earning the prestigious IoF© Perfect Ten Award, the first for a remix. They got the cover right, too. THRILL to previously buried detail! WANDER thru widescreen stereo soundstage! SWOON to a transformed Summer Of '68! It's become my "go-to iteration", and it likely will be yours, too!
I've a feeling there'll be additions to this post, so check back every few seconds or so. It's not like you have anything better to do.
This post made inevitable thru th' astral chakra homologation of sitarswami™
.jpg)
You know the ropes, the drill, and on which side your bread will be buttered.
ReplyDeleteJust the butter please, I'm bread intolerant.
ReplyDeleteYour slice just fell butter side down, I'm afraid.
DeleteNice, my bread always falls bread side. Butter in the middle.
ReplyDeletePan con tomate y aceite de oliva, sin mantequilla, por favor.
ReplyDeleteSir, this is a Wendy's.
DeleteGracias a Dios, pensé que esto era Chick-fil-A.
Delete¿Quiere papas fritas con eso?
DeleteSí, por favor, con patatas bravas.
Deleteprefiero un pincho de tortilla, por favor. Mil gracias, compas
DeleteHay una burra en la trastienda que me gustaría presentarte. ¡Es una burra muy hermosa, te va a encantar!
Delete¡Esto va a ser divertido! Podemos quedarnos despiertos hasta tarde contando historias de hombres y, por la mañana... ¡prepararé gofres!
Delete*retrocede lentamente, evitando el contacto visual*
DeleteSeñor, estamos en Sevilla, no en Tijuana.
DeleteY la forma en que sé lo que sucede con los burros en Tijuana no está abierta a discusión.
DeleteSevilla, Schmevilla.
Deletebadges, we don't need no stinkin' badges...
Deletehasta la victoria siempre
It's an excellent remix.. I picked it up at Faltonia earlier today. You can't go wrong with this one!!
ReplyDeleteIs Faltonia still a place?
DeleteFaltonia is east of Freedonia, and west of Grand Fenwick
DeleteFALTO - For A Limited Time Only - was a great under-the-radar forum that is - amazingly - still going (my researchers tell me).
DeleteFaltonia (the sovereign state) is famous for its healing waters.
DeleteThe place or the poet? You can't tell the players without a program...Babs, dare I ask who you rooted for?
DeleteI root for the home team, If they don't win, it's a shame.
DeleteYou made me laugh. My mom's best friend grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, the daughter of an avid Dodgers fan who had three girls so decided the youngest would be his game day companion and regularly took her out of school to go. I love hearing her talk about it. To her dismay her sons ended up (SF) Giant fans but she was thrilled I liked the Mets. How my youngest brother has ended up a Yankees fan is a cross we all bear.
DeleteMeanwhiles, more info on Flatonia? Wailing & flailing and striking out here....
DeleteI don't always wear a baseball cap, but when I do, it's a Brooklyn Dodgers reproduction.
DeleteI met a woman on th Bangkok "elevated railway" (BTS) who wore a "NY Black Yankees Negro League" ball cap and she told me all about it. You learn the best stuff in the most unexpected places.
Deletethat's amazing...in 2023 I gave a talk at Thammasat University's Tha Phra Chan campus and among the students who took me to lunch afterwards was one wearing a t-shirt with the rather amazing "Cambridge University of Texas" emblazoned on it; she had worn it for me since my university "was also in Texas"--I thanked her for her kindness.
DeleteGotta say, I'm all Floyded-out now. The peak was the still-peerless "Echoes", and i don't resent their earners. Then came beautifully crafted song cycles (but now terminally over-exposed): DSOM/ WYWH, and "Animals". I LOATHE "The Wall", and Roger's dreary moaning; his solo stuff likewise. Saw Nick Mason' playing the early Syd stuff a few times, which was enjoyable. i saw PF in 1977, and it was OK, but characterless; the tributes I've seen to them have had more personality. PF have become rock for civilians, and not MY BAND.
ReplyDeleteThere is no reason , and you're not even suggesting one, why you should not enjoy this. MASSIVELY!
DeleteI can't remember the last time I buttered bread, but it was probably buttered on the B-side.
ReplyDeleteAmericans don't usually use butter in a semmitch, do they? Or is that a myth?
DeleteGenerally speaking, it's usually mustard or mayonnaise, at least in my neck of the woods.
DeleteI grew up with butter ( prolly margarine) on sammiches. PBJB. Baloney cheese margarine. Etc. American! Now, I go to mayo first. Butter, mustard, avocado, ketchup, depending on what is appropriate. How does one download Atom Heart Mother? Why am I always NOT 'in the know'?
ReplyDeleteAu contraire, mon brave! You're the only person who has expressed any interest in hearing it! So I've embedded a SnorkyStealthLink© that only YOU can see!
DeleteCLUES:
1 Not in comments
What an outstanding remix! I think that your outstanding kindness is outstanding! I will now be out standing in my kitchen making BLAT sandwiches!
DeleteAlso, Hiya SitarSwami! I luvs yer stuff!
DeleteI'm a tortillas guy, but if I eat bread, it's sourdough, and the butter goes on TOP of the slice so it harnesses the power of gravity and permeates the bread instead of dripply-drip-glooping onto my freshly pressed slacks.
ReplyDeleteI recall there was a Pink Floyd bootleg with a Holstein cover model named "Dark Side of the Moo."
This is way above bootleg. It's authentic, 100% Floyd, no mucking about or taking liberties, and it sounds better than the original. This is the kind of remix the Floyd (and others) should be getting behind - not more ballsaching WTAF Steven Wilson cashgrabs.
Deletecountry crock margarine is the condiment of choice here
ReplyDeletewoody
Slogan: "What A Crock!™"
DeleteThere's a super-super Hi-Rez Hazmat version for those who get off on frequencies the human ear is incapable of hearing, but given the frankly lamentable response to this, I am disinclined to provide a link.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to accidentally downloading and listening to Snorkys private link, it's years since I heard this album. Also thanks for the hi-rez version, I'll dig out a couple of my Bambi trademarked 'ear trumpets' so I can appreciate those extra frequencies - I really was trying to develop such a thing when I was going through a bit of a troublesome time.
Deletehttps://www.imagenetz.de/ih4Um
ReplyDeleteThat's more like it!
Delete5GB? Since I'm 9000 miles away from home this week, I wonder will it fit in my carry-on bag? Worth a try. Thanks, Farq! (BTW, I found "Selfies" to be an eventually engaging and satisfying tale.)
DeleteThe 320 mp3 sounds really good, thanks. I hadn’t realised until today that side two of the album is over 28 minutes long. I’ve never has a CD or any digital format of the album, but 28 minutes is really pushing it on vinyl.
ReplyDeleteThis deliverable is very tasty. I hadn't listened to AHM in a long time. Nice way to kick off the weekend.
ReplyDeleteI agree! Thank you.
DeleteWhat is the second deliverable in the zip file, please?
D in California
The StealthLink© is @320, the one just above has a couple of hi-def-res options for the snowflake eared, and also thirty minutes of dripping tap as a bonus cut.
DeleteSo, I'll cop: I'm an antediluvian, luddite, no-nothing who has never quite gotten Pink Floyd and this hasn't helped. Not saying it hurt. It's...fine, question mark? What am I missing here, gurus?
ReplyDeleteA moderately-talented band that "heard" possibilities that other bands did not. I'm not claiming they dropped more acid than anyone else (well, maybe Sid did...) but perhaps they got more out of it than some. There is plenty of their music that is more interesting than involving for me, except that they (1) occasionally erupt into fantastically-involving songs or dramatic passages, and (2) they transitioned from near wankers to "perfection" without much notice.
DeleteI don't claim that DSOM and WYWH are actually perfect; rather, they have the sheen of production, integrated writing and instrumentation, and good timing. Those albums blew my mind, sent me back to Meddle and AHM to learn more, and added to my perceptions of what was possible with an LP.
Not that they're "the band without which I can't function." And musical taste is quite individual and only partially subject to rigorous analysis. But if this helps, I'm glad.
D in California
It does and you've given me homework, which always works for me. Thanks for taking the time & trouble--appreciate it.
DeleteLike Babs, and many others, I went off them big time when they hit big time with Dark Side. Anything before that is gold. In becoming global superstars they lost the humour, the pastoral gentleness, the why-not experimentalism, the pop songs, and above all the exploratory spaciness that made them the best band on the planet (for me and my mates, and perhaps a few others). That they managed all this without being virtuosi - a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts - and created such an epically cosmic sound with a standard rock group line-up and very primitive electronics was their particular genius. "What was far out remains far out".
DeleteDark Side and a few others coming up. This is probably (IMHOTEP) the crown jewel in terms of what has been achieved. (Eric, plenty of coarse work and sauce material on th' IoF© - get one of your students to explain the "search button" feature!)
ReplyDelete'Atom Heart Mother' is absolutely Pink Floyd's artistic peak
Delete"Piper" would get my nom, but AHM is uniquely wonderful. The band went very cool on it after the inevitable critical kicking they got. Waters was "embarrassed" by it. Well, la-di-dah, motherfucker. Yes, it was pretentious, but in a very good way. The main themes (of the suite) are just swooningly gorgeous, heights that wouldn't have been reached without pretension's crucial ambition. The way it incorporates everything so smoothly is a masterclass in smoothness incorporation. And the "song" side is beautiful, ending with the chill-out tent (years before that was a thing) of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, and if you think it's a lightweight throwaway you're absolutely right, all the better for it, still a damn good chuckle after all these years, and the very last time they lightened up, the miserable fucks..
Delete"search mutton," you say. These newfangled contraptions. I feel ya Mr SnorkySmith...
DeleteOK, tomorrow I'll start relistening to some of this chazerai with fresh(ish) ears and a better attitude...does this mean The Door(mat)s and Led Zipper are in the offing? Is this some sorta karmic debt? Heavy manners? What hath the goddess wrought...?
The Doors are a good pretentious bar band. Morrison was not a visionary mystic poet.
DeleteI was never a Zep fan. Too much caterwauling and bombast. I like a bit, sometimes. Plant is MUCH better lately ( see Alison Krauss)
You WERE able to be outstanding in your search for the AHM key?
DeleteHere's MQR's "Dark Side To The Power Of Fifty" (I think FLAC and mp3) about which I know nothing, as I haven't heard it!
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/9v5hy8C7ePM
Here's MQR's Wish You Were Here, another one I don't intend to listen to:
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/GYdTQHY5wG8
About 1976/7 on his radio show Alan ‘Fluff’ Freeman repeated two famous BBC Pink Floyd concerts one from 1970 the other 1971, I had pristine recordings on cassette, these contained many of the songs from AHM and Meddle, I think this was before I had any Floyd albums. A few years later, when I had the money I bought both albums, but it was Meddle that I liked most out of the two. I still think DSOTM is great, but it’s been ruined by overexposure and I have’t played it in years.
ReplyDeleteI’ll be giving AHM another listen this week and hopefully more regularly.
One of progs other dinosaurs Yes released an album called Drama in 1980, at the time the press and most Yes fans hated it because The Buggles (Video Killed The Radio Star) had joined Yes, now it’s one of my favourite Yes albums, probably because I hardly ever played it in the last 45 years. The underexposure and rediscovery of Drama has been a pleasure, hopefully this will be the same with this AHM.
Syd, yes: Roger, no. The Who managed their transformation into 70's superstars much more gracefully, IMO. I've never been much into Dark Side and have never heard this one all the way through, so I thank you. I'm splitting the difference and choosing the 16 bit FLAC for my own listening.
ReplyDeleteHere's the thing (or at least a thing). The Floyd, The Who, The Stones, The Kinks, The (Small) Faces, The Led Zeppelins, Traffic, etc.and eg,, all made it into and in some cases through the seventies, selling records, filling stadiums, and making the front cover of the NME. Who's absent from this list? And why, again?
DeleteWings. Your prejudice.
DeleteWings? They were formed in 1971, so how does prejudice exclude them from the list?
Deletesorry, misspoke, I meant you don't like McCartney. and yes.
DeleteNo apology necessary. But that I "don't like" McCartney is not really relevant or interesting. He's over-loved and over-indulged, but not by me. His post-Beatles output shows his weaknesses rather than his strengths (unlike Harrison and Lennon). The Beatles changed lives (including mine) for the better, but I play their records very rarely, most of them not at all.
Delete(My list was of acts that started in the sixties and "made it into and in some cases through the seventies", so Wings don't appear. The only Wings album I enjoy was released on Dunhill in '68!)
I guess it's the Moody Blues, then. As for why, being awful isn't a criterion, so what is?
DeleteOr the Mac?
Tsk.
DeleteAHM's cover and track-titles were familiar to me long before I actually got to hear it in the Summer of 1985. The bucolic left-field-ism I imbued it with drew somewhat on Public Information Films and certain scenes from Gerry Anderson's 'UFO'.
ReplyDeleteToday's deliverable is their (faithful) take on Saucerful Of Secrets, which they call Syncopated Pandemonium. Good name, good cover, clever stuff. In flac and mp3.
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/nVexTd6SDHj
Woo hoo! Forever And Ever is their cunning mash-up of The Division Bell and The Endless River. It's a better listen than either, but that's a pretty low bar. Again, a very professional package, but not a keeper for me. Flacsy-wacsy.
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/pc9CKytgwZx
Today's FloydFlacFest® is (are?) two bulging packages of Zabriski Pointfulness. There may be some duplication, I haven't checked. The usual MQR polish and attention to detail. Wupes - forgot to add link - be right back after me bowl of porridge.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.imagenetz.de/jwcW6
DeleteHad to be imagenetz due to file size and no bandwidth.
Here's the second Ziploc O' Zabriskis;
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/LbSTWQHS4WT
flac, scads of artwork, a metric shitload of music - some you have already, some you'll listen to once, but there's a great album lurking in here.
Here's MQR's obliquely-titled Yet Another Lost Album. Pretty good. mp3.
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/YHrwn5h5sjr
... and as a bonus, here's my "Echoes 23" and "Burning Bridges". mp3
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/VjRL5HTjW3L