Thursday, July 16, 2026

Perfect Tens Dept. - Jefferson And His Aeroplanes!

This is what it might have looked like if Balin's original idea was used. Pink works better, and he thought so too.

 

They don't get enough love, is what I'm saying. For why? Perhaps it was their shift into hectoring agit-prop, confused science fiction, and a string of ragged albums. And then the Starship, which has dated as well as toweling headbands and legwarmers. I reckon it was the drugs becoming more important than the tunes, but what do I know? Their first three albums remain paradigms [oh, fuck off - Ed.] of 'sixties culture, focused like a crystal lens onto the times they were made, clear and color-saturated.


Takes Off
is the modern sound of folk-rock, from Marty Balin's band. What set it apart from the hootenanny hayriders was a for-the-times lyrical edginess, pencil-fucked by the prudes at RCA, some neat acid-etched guitar and Jack Casady's frankly mindblowing bass, recorded unusually close. Signe Toly Anderson and Skip Spence left before the second album, replaced by high society sex tornado Grace Slick and jazzbo sticksman Spencer Dryden.
8/10


Balin took a slight but significant step back for Surrealistic Pillow, the band creating as a whole, and the sound expanded into something immediately new - by turns battering and sharp or shimmering gentle. Slick brought two songs from the underachieving Great Society, the hit Somebody To Love and the psycho bolero White Rabbit, which sounded like nothing else more than anything else, and still does, only more so. Here's the sound of the summer of love happening, breaking through the concrete and diffusing rainbows into the air. Only Electric Music For The Mind And Body caught the mood as perfectly.
10/10


After Bathing At Baxters
shows the perils of freedom, of over-indulgence. Arriving in late '67, it prefigured the end of the decade and the sun setting on the Age of Aquarius after barely nudging over the horizon. Balin was sidelined to one song and experimentation was valued for its own sake. Again, it's a perfect encapsulation of the times, but the times were already troubled, and the lack of focus, of a cohesive identity, that was to plague the band's later releases was apparent in the wider context of a counterculture uncertain how to replace mindless hedonism with something lasting. Yes, it's a nearly great album, but that nearly is crippling. In spite of some rave reviews, Baxter's fell short of its lofty aim. Grace Slick:
"We figured we were going to produce the most brilliant album released in rock ... we had no idea what we were doing." I blame the drugs. 9/10

 

This post approved safe for human consumption by the FADAMDA (Food And Drugs And More Drugs Administration)


See Grace demonstrate mothering skills! 


Oh my.

One for Snorkers


50 comments:

  1. Deliverables: three (count 'em!) swell editions of Pillow. Your engagement: drop a link to a website you think th' 4/5g© might appreciate. No porn, politics or poisoned links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. zoomearth gives real-time satellite view of the world's weather. Zoom in on you home town and check the humidity! Also track hurricanes, storm systems, thank the gods you don't live in Yemen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got Canadian smoke headed our way here which should add a zip to our humidity & heat!
    On The One Hand, https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
    OTOH, https://covertactionmagazine.com/
    And because good things come in 3s: https://boogiewoogieflu.blogspot.com/
    It's 12.5 years gone, but the links are there (I think) and some of the commentary exceptional

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Jorma Kaukonen, weirdly underrated as a guitarist? Seems so to me, but whadda I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he's underrated by anyone who knows him, he's just not as well known as he should have been, like Terry Kath.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. In grad school a friend and I went to see him perform solo in a bar in St Paul, Minnesota on a cold winter's night (is there any other kind there?) and it was virtually empty. He chatted with us, we bought him a beer, he bought us a beer, and he asked if there was anything we wanted to hear. He hung out and played for a few hours and was both delightful and just an amazing fuckin' guitarist.

      Delete
  5. Agree with your assessments of JA, and I include the fourth as well worth the time of anyone who likes "psyche" or "folk-rock." I've played around with the various "live" products that're available, and ... the bonus track version of "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" has electricity and harmony out the wazoo.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/3627095-Jefferson-Airplane-Bless-Its-Pointed-Little-Head
    I don't know what the other 4/5 guys already enjoy, but I will propose this as garden of delights (non-porn!):
    https://butterboycompilations.blogspot.com/
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good call on both counts, though Butter Boy is brutal on storage space...

      Delete
    2. when you're right, you're right...but I admire him...

      Delete
    3. So do I. But those massive collections are like box sets - I never listen to them. Or I listen to the first few tracks, and never again. Single CDs are too long, at seventy minutes, so a bunch of them is unrealistic.

      Delete
  6. This one usualy throws some good scraps into the bowl
    https://urbanaspirines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we'll most likely be familiar with the music sites/blogs - what I'm interested in are sites you find interesting/entertaining (for any reason) that others might not know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom Of The Rock OperaJuly 17, 2026 at 9:56 AM

    Now many who visit this fine island might already be aware of this site but I thought it was worth linking the 'Paradise Of Garage Comps' Blog by Caveman78 as the site has been a goto place for garage psych comps (including Caveman's own series) from all across the planet.

    This year he has started reposting all the comps he's previously posted going back 16 years starting with 2010 so for officianados of 60's garage psych there maybe plenty of goodies that haven't done the rounds for a decade or more. Basically he's packaging up a years worth of posts in three or four archives so its not a major overhead setting up the downloads either and from what I can see all the re-ups from this year are still live. So fill your boots if your so inclined

    https://paradiseofgaragecomps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://www.borguez.com/uabab/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/

    ~ Jon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to the wayback machine, an almost lost forever, great use of the internet, website that you most likely either never heard of or had wished to forget. You'll need volume as it's not only a visual but also audio page. Not porn. Enjoy or not
    https://web.archive.org/web/20260717120547/https://misternicehands.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some links th' 4/5g© might appreciate., but probably not. Check them out.
    Warning if you're not careful, you'll learn something.
    Quanta Magazine covers cutting-edge developments in math, theoretical physics, and computer science. Fascinating stuff.
    
https://www.quantamagazine.org/



    Mathematics Magazine by the Mathematical Association of America
    https://maa.org/publication/mathematics-magazine/




    Physics Today by the American Institute of Physics

    https://physicstoday.aip.org/



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting to two is counting to one again.

      Delete
    2. Zen koan or quantum math? You make the call...

      Delete
    3. "Quantity" is something we invented (or magic'd up). There is no quantity of anything anywhere without our intervention and naming - numbers are nouns, a function of grammar. Grammar is grimoire; that which is spelled is a spell. There is no interval anywhere, no "between". The interval between (say) one and two is an imaginary construct (or magical spell) to create the division that allows us to "measure" and create our world, which sets us apart from the real, uncreated world, what Buddha called the unconditioned world. This is the "fall", into self-consciousness, apartness.

      Delete
    4. 🙇‍♂️

      Delete
  12. Love this and Quanta I know. I was raised by 2 chemistry professors, one a physicist manqué who loved math...I woulda been a physicist if I coulda done the math, hahaha. When I "retired" my brothers encouraged me to go back and a get a PhD in physics; uhm, that math problem, tho

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a big fan of Baxter's. The best bits on it are the best bits anywhere.

    "Mulligan stew for Bloom
    The only Jew in the room"

    The "I'd rather have my country die for me" bit was I think alluded to by Neil Kinnock in the Falklands debate. Nobody writing for the papers at the time understood it.

    "Pooneil" and the instro are spoilt, I think, by the drumming. The rest is marvellous.

    Apropos these SF mags - there are about 80 dating from mid-60s to 80s. You wanna?

    Website
    https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1

    start there, continue for 5000

    alternatively

    https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2002-09-05

    do much the same for this

    ReplyDelete
  14. heres one which, it sez here, documents the complex relationship between humans and psychoactives
    https://www.erowid.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sincerity encased. https://thebluemoment.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. https://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the comments:
      "To be a adroit benign being is to from a amiable of openness to the in the seventh heaven, an cleverness to trust unsure things beyond your own pilot, that can lead you to be shattered in unequivocally outermost circumstances on which you were not to blame. That says something very important about the condition of the principled autobiography: that it is based on a conviction in the fitful and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a sparkler, something rather fragile, but whose mere particular attraction is inseparable from that fragility."
      - is this you, Fanny?

      Delete
    2. The comments really are a goldmine (and remember, this is pre-AI):
      "To learn more about Hoodia, please visit our Hoodia Gordonii Weight Loss section Endless websites telling you to try their unique hoodia. Because with a few further medication or natural supplement, talk with your physician with the intention of be alive sure nearby are refusal wellbeing conditions to would hinder you starting taking Hoodia."

      Delete
  17. Crown Of Creation is worthy of inclusion in this group. Lather would work better in the middle somewhere but In Time, Triad and Ice Cream Phoenix are all classics of the form.
    https://www.expectingrain.com/ has news of interest every day to just about anyone with the slightest interest in this blog and it's contents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never liked COC, because it sounds thick and heavy, and there's a definite stylistic break after Baxters. I know it's good and highly rated, I just don't enjoy it. These three are the only JA albums I return to. I wasn't attempting to be definitive.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. lotsa good stuff, but, uhm, erm...speaking of links...or am I missing the obvious, again

      Delete
    2. Do you mean for the albums? I wait until someone shows some interest.

      Delete
    3. Please sir, may we have some albums please?

      Delete
    4. ANON RF: Me some too Wow!

      Delete
    5. *grumpily, arms folded* Well, okay then.

      Delete
  19. I seldom download anything here, but find the album selection often hilarious!
    https://mrweirdandwacky.blogspot.com/?zx=26e32d265ca96e9d

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's an interesting thread about JA's relative obscurity over at the Hoffman board (search term - take a wild guess). General consensus seems to be Jefferson Starship was a terrible move, but I think the rot set in earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Under the JA Takes Off album section -- you reference "Sex tornado Grace Slick".
    One of my favorite descriptions you have come up with. Also made me laugh. I have no trouble believing it is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thames, what a pal you are. But it was "high society sex tornado" - she came from a very upper-crust family (famous Look photo of her with her mum) and I'm sure that helped with her absolute lack of restraint on stage. One of the truly great frontpersons!

      Delete
  22. Three valuable iterations of Takes Off:
    https://workupload.com/file/Uc49GDDLFDx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ditto, for Surrealistic Pillow:
    https://workupload.com/file/Zuk52HKhuEG

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ditto, Baxters:
    https://workupload.com/file/tVFRY7ZyYnU

    ReplyDelete
  25. Xtry trx and Culture Factory editions of Bless:
    https://workupload.com/file/rfq5vMGg62y

    ReplyDelete
  26. Howzabout that Creem's Profiles? Boy Howdy!

    ReplyDelete

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, it means Kreemé is checking the handwriting before passing it on to me. I'm a busy man and have no time to decipher crayoned scrawls.