Saturday, July 25, 2026

Perfect Tens Dept. - Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass!

Herb's "Going Places" in style! Gaston! Dos cervecas!!

 

It's a fair criticism that th' IoF© doesn't feature a whole lot of ethnic musics from the more diverse parts of the world. The Young People Of Today are properly respectful of Mongolian Nose Flute albums and Funeral Disco Chants From Tanzania, mainly because their own music is so shit they're prepared to give anything a try.

pmac in Seville, yesterday!

 

So it's in this spirit of benign cultural appropriation that the latest Perfect Ten features in our coveted Perfect Ten feature. Those of you alert enough to have read the title of this piece (and I'm taking nothing for granted these days) will already know who I'm talking about - go back and read it now if you're still in the dark. As an extra clue, I've used AI technologies to produce a pixel-perfect blurry reproduction of the original album sleeve [above - Ed.].

For why does this album garner musicdom's most coveted award? On account which there's nothing wrong with it, ya doofus. And boy, do those Spanish-type bossa rhythms ever cheer a guy up!

Herb n' Lani, 2021. Does you good to look on such a blessed state. Human beings can be great.

 

 

This post prompted by a laudable desire for inclusivity. 

34 comments:

  1. TWELVE (count 'em - 12!) NON-STOP PARTY HITS!!! THIRTY (count 'em - 30!) MINUTES!!!
    This, dear friends, is album perfection. We don't deserve to be this happy. I may not upload it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course we don't deserve to be this happy . . . or any happy for that matter . . . won't you please upload it anyway just so we can wallow in our unhappiness with just a hint of hope? won't you? please? --Muzak McMusics

      Delete
    2. Please reconsider.
      Incredible that in 1965, Herb gave us both "Going Places" plus "Whipped Cream & Other Delights". Fantastic cover on "Whipped Cream...."

      Delete
  2. I see what you did there....

    Also, my father, who by and large had excellent taste in music, loved Herb Alpert. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darth Vader voice: "I am your father!"

      Delete
    2. this would explain so much....

      Delete
    3. effin' terrified of the birds & the bees talk. Scared.to.death.

      Delete
    4. Knock three times on the ceiling and ask for ... Barry.

      Delete
  3. Young People of Today don't know how good they got it. and get off my lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go see some music at his club...way too loud for dinner but fun anyways:

    https://www.vibratogrilljazz.com/

    ~ Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, this record of his is sublime:

      Herb Alpert – Midnight Sun
      https://www.discogs.com/master/830861-Herb-Alpert-Midnight-Sun

      ~Jon

      Delete
    2. Here - let me help you with that:
      https://workupload.com/file/2KdVbYBvwEA

      Delete
    3. Thanks FTIII!

      Delete
    4. The reworked "A Taste of Honey" on Midnight Sun is SUBLIME!!!! I had only heard the original.

      Delete
  5. I met him. I was friends with his organic gardener. Ace guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the greatest vocal by a guy who can't sing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ByJ1C0iR4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets the note near the middle every time, but he just can't hold it, which is strange for a trumpeter. Louis was the same, come to think of it. Chet Baker ... anybody hear Davis [Miles - Ed.] sing?

      Delete
    2. Yep, but I'm a sucker for Albert's vocals on that song. Wears the emotion on his sleeve.

      Delete
    3. No "but" required - it's from the heart.

      Delete
  7. Love 'Rise' along with the titular album. I have rips of the others of that era and really ought to spend some time.

    I particularly like the title track of 'Coney Island' for its vivid conjuring of the titles to some naff TV game show where contestants have to pleasure themselves with their hands loaded with their own faeces, live from Stoke-on-Trent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Earlier this year I flew to Nashville (from Oakland) to meet up with class of '74 high school friends flying in from Portland, Reno, and Houston to see Herb Alpert at the Ryman. First time in 52 years we'd all been in the same place at the same time.

    AS noted above, this was our father's music (with the exception of my pal from Reno who is working on a degree in music and plays jazz trumpet). We were Mott the Hoople guys in high school and I went full out faster-louder-shorter punk rock in 1977, so it was an interesting choice for a reunion (I came up with the plan...).

    It was fabulous; Alpert still commands a stage (Reno did not the hard notes to reach were deftly covered by a second trumpet). It was also Mr. Alpert's 91st birthday, so we got to sing "Happy Birthday" to him.

    In 2024, I digitized a monophonic promotional record of his recordings and it is still posted at the Voodoo Wagon. Yes, it's in ponderously pudgy flac files not slim 'n' trim mp3, but you can convert it to whatever format you want after you've downloaded. Also includes full scans of everything, even the inner paper record sleeve! It's from ancient vinyl but in general I was able to clean it up so that it's a decent listen. https://voodoowagon.blogspot.com/search/label/Herb%20Alpert%20%26%20the%20Tijuana%20Brass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemme know if n when the 'thirty minutes' happens, and I'll try n make up a cover?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw Herbie and the TJB last year..sooo good! He plays at about 97% of his peak ability, and such a career! The TJB really crossed all lines. When he was popular, you had British rock, soul, country, pop, jazz, 'underground' stuff...everyone loved Herbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going Places! and Whipped Cream (And Other Delights) for your spiritual well-being:
    https://workupload.com/file/TatYmDPM6Ek

    ReplyDelete
  12. FT3 -- Muchas gracias por el entregable y por incluirlo "Whipped Cream (And Other Delights)!
    Listening right now - straight through. They are both fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Farq. Great music and a fantastic cover, they don't make these anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks FT3, I think this may be just what I need to give me a pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let us not forget as well that a) he is still going at 91, and ii) he is the "A" in A&M Records. A life dedicated to bringing music. Good on him. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What! he’s the reason for The Police (and therefore Sting), can I get a refund?
      Oh wait a minute, on second thoughts The Tubes makes Herb ok after all.

      Delete

If your comment doesn't immediately appear, it means Kreemé is checking the handwriting before passing it on to me. I'm a busy man and have no time to decipher crayoned scrawls.