Friday, January 6, 2023

It's A Happening Thing! Dept.




One of the great Food Bands, the Peanut Butter Conspiracy was also the perfect distillation of Left Coast positivism, like Jefferson Airplane without the anger issues. Fronted by Sandy Robison [AF-F™ - Ed.], they made a couple of groovy, groovy albums for Columbia in '67 (when else?) before losing the plot for a third on the walk-ins welcome Challenge label, founded by singing cowboy Gene Autry. Still, this was in '69, when it was a struggle for hippie bands to wake up from the Aquarian Dream. The Airplane flunked the end of the decade, too. PBC recorded enough other material to make comps essential, so today's Loaddown O' Largesse® is probably as comprehensive as you'll find, and all at the Goldilocks bitrate that Jesus ripped the Ten Commandments at. Quit whining and eat yer PBJ.

FoamFacts™
Item! A South African showband stole their name in the seventies and recorded a shit album that used to get passed off as a PBC album until the internets made us all experts in everything. Item! Gene Autry was the first artist to sell a million copies of a single, with "That Silver-Haired Daddy Of Mine".





This post autoclaved with tech assist from Acme Veeblefetzer Corp.

21 comments:

  1. Deliverables delivered tomorrow, my time, yesterday, yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been spot binging a tv show called SEVERANCE. it is about a corporation that may control the universe. i wonder if it is a thinly disguised portrait of the Acme Veeblefetzer Corp.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bingeing on Kaleidoscope (Netflix). The last ep., "White", spools up tomorrow. "Pink" is the single best series episode I think I've ever seen. Egad!

      Delete
  3. I saw Sandy Robison in the Los Angeles production of the musical 'Hair' in 1970.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get up on stage for the Let The Sunshine In finale? Please tell me you got up on stage for the Let The Sunshine In finale.

      Delete
    2. I did in summer stock theatre in Matunuck RI in 1974! m Howz bout that?!

      Delete
    3. There once was a man who acted in Matunuck.....

      @Farq - not in L.A., but I did a few years earlier in New York.

      Delete
    4. I have a lovely antique glass pitcher from Spain that I use for Mojios and Bloody Marys.

      Delete
  4. I lived in Los Angeles County in 1970 but my veeblefetzer didn't sport hair yet as I was only 9 years old at the time. Still too young for 'acme', too, tho I broke out with both as a teen.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those deliverables in full:
    - PBC, 3 albums, 2 comps
    - Sandy Robison (feat. PBC), a album
    - Ashes, a album

    https://workupload.com/file/7vD2yAPreeG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I suggest you consult an optometrist at your earliest. I'm sure they're as visible to everyone else as they are to me.

      Delete
    2. I see the one that you designed..its cute..but not the others, within the download. 3 album covers, 2 comp covers, ashes cover?

      Delete
    3. I just downloaded the download - the covers are visibly tagged to the files. I can see them all. For All Ages is the only tweaked one - all the others are as issued.

      Delete
    4. Oops - did a cover for Roses Gone - you can see that on the post devoted to it.

      Delete
    5. Thanks again Farq, sounds good, especially to a peanutbutter lover like me. Kaleidoscope (Netflix) is excellent, but on purpose I watch only 1 episode per day. Severance is a whole different cup of tea, absolutely bonkers, highly recommended!

      Delete
  7. glad to hear the Gene Autry million-seller troof. Lotsa people say Caruso sold a million in 1906 but there wasn't that much shellac in the world. There's a video on UTube featuring Duke E where they go through the manufacture of a 78, about 1939 methinx, and they proudly boast that 25 million discs were manufactured the previous year. not likely to be a million-seller then.
    Oh and the Champs were on Challenge. Made a few good records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autry (it sez here) was a pretty savvy dude, by all accounts. Bright, honest, hardworking, talented - and got out of Challenge before he took a loss on it. Singing Cowboys, though ... not enough to form a posse on th' IoF©.

      Delete