Monday, December 19, 2022

Non-Gratuitous Violins Dept.


The King Kong album prompted comments about Lead Violin In Rock (a hot debate topic, back when people cared abut the things that mattered), which prompted me to spin a few pioneering examples. The Flock [Jerry Goodman, above - Ed.] were FoamFeatured Antecedently©, in one of the least popular pieces ever pasted to the front page, so I'm hoping this selection will stir up as much interest!

Showbiz charmer, pal of Charles Manson, drug dealer and convicted torturer-murderer Bobby Beausoleil's 1966 Orkustra attracted David LaFlamme, who smartly bailed for It's A Beautiful Day after establishing the chin cello as a viable lead instrument in rock, and before he could get slain by a bunch of heroin-crazed satanists. "Lucky Bobby" continues his studies to this day at Government College with no student debt to repay.

Sea Train's first album from '68 got hijacked by their label and released as the contract-fulfilling last Blues Project album Planned Obsolescence, a mistake that alienated existing fans rather than attracting new ones. Labels is dumbass. Richard Greene bothers the catgut to rousing effect, and the violin's place in rock is assured. Groovy album, new cover by je, you'll dig it. A consistently excellent band [FFA© - Ed.].

It's A Beautiful Day's first album from '69 is so great it's as great as its cover, so great it is. A big hit, too. I've added Love For You, the only contemporary non-album track by the band, because it slides in perfectly. White Bird is playing as we speak, as white birds fly above the Mekong. It's a beautiful day!

Fairport Convention's Unhalfbricking, again from '69, was their first to feature Dave Swarbrick's fiddle, showcased on the extended jamming of A Sailor's Life. And yes, it's a rock album.

High Tide is highly rated by the Mandrax/Quaalude set (hi, Steve!), but not je. First album from 1970 features headachey fiddling from Simon House. Next!

Curved Air's first album Airconditioning made a big impact in the UK in '70, not least for being a beautiful but shitty-sounding picture disc. Darryl Way's violin and Sonja Kristina's tremulously icy vox gave the band a unique sound, and in Vivaldi they had a college-circuit showstopper.

String Cheese were obviously inspired by IABD, but lacked the material. Their lone album from '71 features Greg Bloch's violin - he played on the It's Not Such A Beautiful Day album Today, when LaFlamme mistakenly took a back seat.

Also in '71, Jerry Goodman made an explosive and unexpected return in The Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame, a staggering achievement that owed nothing to anybody and made everything else seem like ... string cheese.

It had been two years since their last studio album Volunteers, and in '72 Jefferson Airplane were no longer skywriting messages people needed to hear. Bark is an album by a band that doesn't know what it's for any more. Papa John Creach was an inspired addition on violin, but not enough to stop their compass spinning.













Note: Some favorites omitted - including yours - because reasons. I ignore John Cale's challenging work with the Velvet Underground because he plays the fucking viola.




22 comments:

  1. I expect most of youse bums will have most of these already, already. But should youse be desirous, just ax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I never got into the Airplane's offshoots - not even Starship. I love their first three (and Pointed Head) very much, but it's diminishing returns from then on.

      Delete
    2. This is my favorite from “Papa” John, from 1971.
      https://mega.nz/file/8eVUSTpa#jd9cZgkV7Xg3NAHKQWrrgHnakyecqxlen_dq24c59lI

      Hot Tuna - Hot Tuna (2CD Remastered Deluxe Edition), this is a really nice reissue of a long time favorite from 1970
      https://mega.nz/file/halF0S6b#MZJsMCjG82hs_SJCYB8z-_KLMzgws95oRinudgA_vYQ

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the upgrade Babs. I didn't have the 2 disc set. I've heard that Hot Tuna stopped playing Uncle Sam Blues because of this recording. About 1 minute in you hear a glass fall to the floor. Whenever they played it afterward, at that point in the song, everybody dropped their glass on the floor.

      Delete
    4. I live out in the desert. A place were people have water delivered. Two properties over there was a kid that copied my albums to cassette. I gave him free reign to my collection. He would hike down, fill a paper grocery bag and go home and digest the music. When he discovered Hot Tuna he wanted all I could supply. He was learning to play guitar. He went on to attend the Julliard School of Music. I like to think that me and Hot Tuna guided him there.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the 2CD upgrade, Babs.

      I got to hear Papa John live once, circa 1992-93, on his last tour with the reconstituted Jefferson Starship. Casady was on bass, Darby Gould on vocals, Prairie Prince on lead (no Jorma). Papa John was the highlight, though...

      Delete
  3. I quite got into East of Eden (Dave Arbus) - at least the 1st 2 albums (before "Jig a Jig")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East Of Eden is a good call, but they slipped under my radar.

      Delete
    2. Saw 'em live a coupla times - real excellent!! Check out "SNAFU"

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Another band that's failed to charm my socks off - something about the vocals, I think?

      Delete
  5. I'd love to hear the Seatrain. Richard Greene' fiddle always livens things up. While I'm at it...may I request the whole bundle, please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phantom Of The Rock OperaDecember 20, 2022 at 3:14 AM

    A fine collection for the Christmas stocking!. The String Cheese album is not one I'm familiar with. A link would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's everything except the High Tide, which I trashed on account which it gives me gas: https://workupload.com/file/bPwEZdkenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No love for the band? Besides, the second album (Sea Shanties) is the best one. I can upload if anyone wants it.

      Delete
    2. Howzabout a MUCH better Higher rez version of the SeaTrain art?

      Delete
  8. Good IABD story: Jon Lord (admittedly) nicked the distinctive chords to Bombay Calling for Child In Time, so David LaFlamme responded by nicking Deep Purple's Wring That Neck for their second album, retitling it Don And Dewey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I was shocked when I heard Bombay Calling because it was so obviously ripped off by Deep Purple, I didn't know IABD got their own back. Purple did it again on Black Night, see splendid youtube link below of the Blue Magoos original:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhSOxCA940

      Delete
  9. White Bird charted in Northern California. In San Francisco, it spent 10 weeks on the KYA charts, peaking at #3, and 7 weeks on rival KFRC, hitting #5. Now...makes sense, as they were an SF band. But they also hit #6 in Fresno....200 miles from the Haight-Ashbury and a very different culture.

    Years later...in 1985, I'm picking up my mail at my apartment in Oakland and the nice lady with the slighty snotty 16 year old daughter was there at the same time, getting a magazine that had been left on the table. I hand it to her and reading the name, go...."Are you THE Linda LaFlamme?" And yeah, it was the original Linda (not the second one), the one who co-wrote "White Bird." She gave me a look that said "Thanks for saying that in front of my daughter."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the SeaTrain album cover upgrade, but it's kinda fuzzy-looking. Does anyone have a sharper version?

    ReplyDelete