Saturday, December 31, 2022

I've Been Eating Broccoli All Wrong And Here's Some Grateful Dead Dept.

And the name of this album is ...



Hey! Mebbe youse bums is eating it all wrong, too! The secret is to junk the floret, the flowery top, and chow down on the stalks. Who knew? Not je until a few days ago, and I credit this fine recording, playing at the time, with the discovery. Turns out yer brocc is a sneaky little bugger, kwide lidrally hiding its light under a bushel. Them stems is sweet as a nut, with none of the hedgehog dandruff bitterness that puts right-thinking fellers off the stuff for life. Eat it! Eat it raw! Or cook how you like - me, I toss it in with the pasta. Right in there, soon as it starts to boil. But the flowery tops get kicked to th' kerb without a second thought. Gee whiz, fellers, that's some swell eatin'!

Anyway, here's the Dead, recorded in '69 by Owsley Stanley - I think, probably - at micro-club Thelma on Sunset [don't look for it, it's not there any more - Ed.]. I first had it as a single-disc bootleg edit, and until recently didn't know that the entire gig was available on Dave's Picks Vol. 10. So I've added the xtry trx, including the mysterious Boners Disc, but kept the bootleg title, which I like a lot, and my replacement cover [above - Ed.], as Dave's Artworks give me hives.

Perhaps the synapse-popping version of Caution will inspire you to culinary breakthroughs, too! Leave a comment, should you be desirous.







This post made degustible thru' funding from Chuck Castaneda's Mystic Cabbage Motor Court, Swayback, NM. 








12 comments:

  1. If you don't like the Dead, this won't change your mind, but it's a fantastic (and fantastic sounding) set that shows them at the top of their game. Actually two sets as a single loooong track (see enclosed setlist) plus the Boners Tracks from the relatively hard to find fourth disc (as separate tracks). "Caution" is, as the internet reviewer likes to say, worth the price of admission alone. And there's a prize of a bag of broccoli florets to the first commenter to Name That Album!

    https://workupload.com/file/AjFPrwdW33r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Workingman's Dead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Devils Garden

    Willm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willm restores my faith in humanity. and the service revolver is back in my desk drawer.

      Delete
  4. Anthem Of The Sun - I bought this when it came out cos International Times said it was the nearest thing to taking a trip without actually dosing on LSD. It wasn't and I didn't like it at first. But as LPs were expensive, and i'd invested my 37shillings buying it, I perservered and eventually got it. If this ain't the right Album, then very sorry and a Happy New Year to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great results on that cover art. A keeper, fo' shoor. I'm still waiting for modern remasters of their first few albums. They really need it. As I understand it, they didn't employ a producer, just a measely engineer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out ProfStoned for his remaster of the mono mix of the first album and the original 1969 mix of Aoxomoxoa.

      The early vinyl pressings of that one had the original mix but all subsequent reissues used the masters from a remix that was done in 1971.

      Delete
  6. I'm not the biggest Dead fan, but when they were "on, they were on and they're on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent!! Can't beat some early live Dead!! Some of those '68 shows are just manic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the leaves too!--X-Bill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the marketing department at Chuck Castaneda's Mystic Cabbage Motor Court must have paid a pretty penny for your endorsement of broccoli - have they got a lorry load in Siam that needs to be sold quickly? - next you'll be telling us kohlrabi is nice to eat.
    My mate Barry The Spud tells me that the best veg is in fact the sprout, and I must say I agree with Barry, having purchased a large bag of the delicious green nuggets from his lock-up in the BH24 postcode of Dorset (Open 12.30pm til 3pm Tuesdays til Thursday, closed for lunch 1 til 1.45ish)
    Wishing you Farq and the 4or5 guys all the best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete