Monday, July 5, 2021

Psychfan's Trip O' Th' Week© Dept. - Beacon Street Union

I grew up in Boston and I felt a flush of regional pride when MGM Records began a project that involved signing Boston area psychedelic bands (The Bosstown Sound). 

The thinking was that Boston was the East Coast version of San Francisco, an area with a large hippie population and the culture that went along with that. There must be a lot of great psych bands who can rival those of the San Francisco Scene (or so it was thought). 

This was not an irrational plan. Like San Francisco, Boston was (and is) a magnet for educated young people and the culture was there. What wasn't there was a Janis Joplin or a Grateful Dead or a Jefferson Airplane. Just as there was only one Motown, there was only one Haight Ashbury.

The plan to conjure another out of sheer will backfired spectacularly in the commercial realm, as is well known, but the end result was several psych LPs that are good, if not great.
 
This is an OK outcome from my point of view, as it means that there are several more good psych LPs in existence than there would be otherwise. Todays LP is a case in point. It features excellent psych guitar, good keyboard playing, lead vocals by future New England country star (yes, there is such a thing) John Lincoln Wright and production by Tom Wilson who deserves a post of his own (coming soon).
 
There are several theories about why the overall campaign failed. One was the smell of hype - The Bosstown Sound? Another, related theory was the idea that the bands were signed before thay had developed enough material to compete on a national level.
 
This one, for example, has psyched-up covers of Chuck Berry's Beautiful Delilah and blues standard Sporting Life mixed in with the mostly pretty good originals and the album as a whole is well worth hearing.
 
Second LP The Clown Died In Marvin Gardens, also included here, confirms the material shortage issue with a side long version of Baby Please Don't Go that you (probably) won't want to hear more than once. It does confirm the talent of the band, however, with several more good originals.
 
Farquhar Throckmorton III adds: The band changed their name to Eagle for a third album, the acronymtastic Come Under Nancy's Tent, which I've added to the downloads. Rumors that they were going to call it Vote Against Gangsters In North America are probably unfounded. A more consistent and focused album than the first two, it was too little too late. And it was 1970, which was a bit shit.

30 comments:

  1. Here's Psychfan's links:

    > https://www.mediafire.com/file/yfwsqnsg8kvniky/The+Is+of+the+Beac0n+Street+Uni0n.rar/file
    > https://www.mediafire.com/file/drxm4seyxjjcpdx/The+Cl0wn+Died+in+M@rvin+G@rdens.rar/file

    But you'll have to work for the Eagle album by suggesting other titles for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was at least one top line amazing psych lp that came out of the Bosstown scene the first ''ultimate spinach'' lp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an effort to boost the page views into single figures, I'm considering a Bosstown Sound Week here. Maybe not this week.

      Delete
    2. I also like that album a lot.

      Delete
    3. I prefer the second, if only for Mind Flowers.

      Delete
  3. Alternate Title: "ONE MILLION DOLLARS on the Motel Bed of your Choice"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for BSU psychfan -- nice write up
    For the Eagle title, surely they considered "Push Until She Says Yes" or perhaps "Phile Under Salacious Soundracks Youperv"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The points you accrued for your first suggestion were immediately deleted for your second.

      Delete
  5. And nobody seems to notice that we're celebrating Loudon Wainwright III first album 51st anniversary. Central Square Song was such a great tune. Can still hear the wordless haunting voice floating in the London Virgin record store, back in August 1971. And you bet I had to know who that was, and you bet I bought the record, and you bet I still have it. And now just can't help but wonder, whatever happened to Mary McGuire and Big Frank Clark, after they disappeared into the night. If you ever happen to meet Loudon the third (I imagine there must be a congress of all thirds from time to time), just ask him, and let me know.
    (Hmmm... nice try, but no one ever reads the comments anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments are the only part of the blog that people read. But not yours.

      Delete
  6. Turn West At Tucson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alternative Title:

    Pie Under Sister Susie's Yarn-Clothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone tell you you're weird? To your face? Asking for a friend.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Trailer Star - the Doctor will see you now - you can pull your pants up.

      Delete
  9. Eyrie Tales. ( I know it's not good, but no-one else has come up with anything, and I could really do with winning the prize of an all-inclusive week on the Isle)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turn West At Tucson or People United Smoking Shit Yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we like Turn West At Tuscon as much as you do. How about Mothers United For Freedom?

      Delete
  11. any self-respecting band renaming should reflect a change of the band. Thus, from Beacon Street Union, they had to go with

    Pull My Finger


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do know what "acronym" means, I hope.

      Delete
    2. Which would be more than most of my pupils know. and they're coming from the country of the acronym, even if no one knows what the fuck an URSSAF really is.

      So, regularly I check if they know their acronyms, and usually they don't, and usually at least one asks me "What's an acronym?". *sigh*

      I Don't Immediately Offer Theories!

      Delete
    3. I had a pal in the military, and he told me all about TLA.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry, but I cannot join in..my misogyny must stay hidden.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing misogynistic about this nonsense. Nothing "woke", either.

      Delete
  13. I disagree . My location must remain unknown, any statement I would give on this subject might lead them to my door.
    Thank you for not outing me as I've said too much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's the Eagle album - I had to be careful what I called this file - https://workupload.com/file/CxLhg5jRH7Q

    ReplyDelete