Sunday, July 11, 2021

Delta Del Dept. - Red Guitar Blues

Th' Legendary Delecaster© - canine decoration by George Clinton!

 

It’s Sunday and I’m on a day trip to the Island.  I pop a penny into the seafront telescope and sweep the horizon.  No sign of a rescue ship, so I train it instead on a group of marine biologists frolicking in the Foam.  I empty my man-purse on them and move on.  I say hi to the neighbours, I take a ride on the famous Random Post Button.  I decide to buy a small cast-iron replica of the Random Post Button to take home with me, where I will place it on a shelf in my room alongside a baseball mitt and a photograph of Uncle Salvatore eating a lobster.  He’s dead now of course, and so is Uncle Salvatore.

Tired but happy after another False Memory trip, I’m making my way toward the Island exit.  I decide to pause and refill my pipe before leaving.  I find a quiet spot behind a dumpster full of Beatles albums.  Leaning back against the dumpster, my thoughts wander as I pack another bowl.  How did I end up here?  Surely the straight and narrow path cannot lead to an enchanted, mythical Island populated by music freaks and ruled by a mysterious joker-scribe?  I must have taken a right wrong turn somewhere.  But where?  I draw a hot lungful from my pipe and everything dissolves …

1963 and a semi-detached house in a semi-rural village 20 miles north of London … I’m a 9 year-old kid playing with my Dinky toys on the front porch when I see something amazing pass by … a lanky teenage boy with strange hair carrying a red electric guitar.  An un-cased naked bright-red electric guitar, and shining quiffed-up hair.  I’d never seen the like before, ‘cept maybe on our scratchy black & white TV.  Never in real-life living colour, never here in Little Nothinghappenton.  And I’m sure I made the connection between this lanky quiffhead’s electricity-guitar and the family radiogram.  A splendid hunk of furniture for spinning discs and sweeping the wavebands of the wireless world.  It dominated the front room, with a speaker as big as a little kid who liked to sit right in front of it and feel the waves.  The smell of hot electricity and furniture polish, the robot clank n' whirr of the record deck auto-changer, a green magic-eye tuning tube, and a connection leading somehow to red electricity guitars.  I was hooked early.

I stared at the village rocknroll rebel as he passed by a few times that year, always with the naked guitar.  And the fully dressed hair.  I guess later he must’ve got some wheels, gave up walking to the bus stop and left the village squares behind.  I hope he made a lot of rocknroll noise in his life, and got well paid for it.  I know he left junior-nerd me wishing I could get some of that red-guitar attitude.  And wondering exactly what is this strange power that can affect the shape of a man’s hair.

That was the beginning, the first sight of The Path That Leads Astray.  It took me another year or three to get my own electric guitar, and you bet it was red, bright red.  A Watkins Rapier, and somewhen in those early days an Audition amp from Woolworths.  Almost immediately, the strange power of electric noise-colours began to affect my hair.  It grew and it grew and it grew.  The parting set off from its traditional side-head position and made straight for the middle.  Soon the transformation was complete … I looked like a girl.  Shining quiff-related styles were yesterday’s thing, me and my budding-rockstar buddies preferred to look like girls.  And back in late 60’s Villageville, long hair on a boy really upset people.  Especially, and perhaps logically enough, the local skinheads.  So much abuse triggered by me lookin' like a gurl.  Maybe that's why I spent so many hours safe in my bedroom practicing on my red guitar.

So I’ve got the hair and I’ve got the guitar, now what?  Musical theory talks about the “circle of fifths”, it’s something involving chords and scales and stuff, I never got into it.  I got into the circle of spliffs … I pick up my guitar, I want to get high … I get high, I want to pick up my guitar.   An unbreakable circular connection.  And a perpetual motion thing so that 50 years later I’m still loopin that loop like a red-eyed hamster in a wheel.  I’d have grown tired of many a cage along the way if it weren’t for that wheel.  And yes us hamsters know that the wheel is built-in to make a cage seem OK when it really aint, but it feels good anyway so lets go round again.  Oh dear.

And now the Island sun is setting.  The dumpster casts a long shadow.  I have traced the beginning of The Path That Led Astray.  It’s time to continue my journey.  I tap out my pipe, in a cool latin-funk kinda way, and stand up, in a creaky oldman-stoner kinda way.   Myra appears, seeking a quiet spot behind a dumpster.  Hey Del howzitgoin … her eyes focus on my groin area …  Is that a cast-iron replica of the Random Post Button in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? … I turn and run like hell into th' Foam.

The Delecaster [above - Ed.] 

I’ve owned this red guitar for a very long time.  It has a Hofner Colorama body with various tweaks to the hardware and electrics.  Coloramas date from the time I spotted the quiffhead, it could have been one he was carrying back in 1963.  The dog drawing was done by George Clinton at an album signing in Manchester (I pledge allegiance to the flag of Funkadelica). The un-tweaked version of this guitar once belonged to a hippy-biker called Misty who died when his bike left the road and hit a tree one Friday night in 1972.  Not knowing what had happened, I went round his house the next day for a Saturday afternoon jam.  Writing this I feel a faint aftershock from that awful day almost fifty years ago.

 

FT3 writes - hey, if any youse bums want to see your ax in this here Gallery O' Guitars, post an imgur link in th' comments! (You don't need an account to post something on imgur - just make sure you click the "private" button or whatever it is)

35 comments:

  1. Swell screed from Delta Del! I'll be loadupping a couple of Funkadelic albums shortly, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Farq it had also occurred to me to post some Funkadelic in the comments so if it aint the same stuff you were thinkin of posting here’s the singles collection and Rocky Mountain Shakedown, a mid-70s Parliament-Funkadelic live show from Denver which includes an astonishing version of She’ll Be Comin Round The Mountain.

    https://workupload.com/file/dMcm9XfdJv8

    https://workupload.com/file/MLWh35bBNdE


    I also highly recommend this 1969 video from the Say Brother tv show …

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmzbVM5BMw


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great video! I spent an hour happily watching one video after another of cosmic slop last night. Saw the mothership swing down, and heard my mother call. Thanks, Del!

      Delete
    2. I gots to testify too! Far out brother

      Delete
  3. https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/american-new-wave-group-come-on-perform-onstage-at-the-hurrah-new-picture-id1135960748

    = 3 fenders
    me on right w/ color-stripped Strat, the young lady is playing a red fender
    Swinger [veddy rare and collectible now...], Ralf on bass i forget the model. I'm the only one who stuck w/ music, the others went on to much more successful pursuits in nonmusical fields, which may be a badge of NY new wave honor, in a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what else? Come On was a cool band. Good on you for staying with your passion, GE! It's a form of success that can't be measured in dollars.

      Delete
  4. PS
    Thanks/congrats for your well-wrought/writ piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ge and I’d never heard of or seen a Fender Swinger, and it was red, cool! Any Come On sounds online you can point us at? And I’m with Farq fuck getty images for adding such ridiculously obtrusive overlays.

      Delete
    2. Hola amigo
      https://www.behance.net/gallery/57268051/COME-ON
      gets you to the album/booklet artwork...
      https://comeonnyc.bandcamp.com/
      is our 2017 comp...
      live footage is visible at
      https://www.youtube.com/user/okeyeye/videos
      [see end of list 12-13 years ago!]

      Thanks~
      ps I was just happy to know re those Hurrah Getty images which languished
      neverseen these 40odd years
      The pretty famous photog Resnick caught our singer levitating [hijumping] with his Micky Mouse ears [for song Disneyland] in a few snaps

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the links ge just enjoyed a couple of Come On videos and will explore the rest properly later and yes great to discover picture and video fragments of a musical past

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the forthcoming funk! And don't call me Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely written Delta Del, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bambi your recent Bevis post was cool too, got me revisiting his stuff

      Delete
  7. Here's my Burns Red - "inspired" by Brian May (and no, I'm not a fan). Great little guitar, this was used around the clubs in Hanoi by an ex-GI before he passed it on to his friend, a SF bartender, who eventually brought it into Thailand, where he bequeathed it to me a few years back on returning to the Bay.

    https://imgur.com/a/4tMv7Hv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I saw an identical pair of Burns six strings. Green with black pickguards. That was in Oslo 2019. First pair I've ever seen in the flesh. I took a photo. It's a pity I can't show you on here as I've done a lot of guitars up over the years. I did a Telecaster up, putting a resonator in it. I still have it.

      Delete
    2. They were new?

      (I think we want to see that Telesonator!)

      Delete
    3. The Burns were used but in top condition. Do you have a Facebook page? I could send you some pics that way.

      Delete
    4. I don't do social media. Post the pics to imgur (easy, free, instant, no commitment/registration). I found this:

      "In 2004, Andrew Guyton, a guitar luthier from East Anglia in the UK, manufactured 50 copies of the Red Special: 40 in red to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the guitar, and 10 in green, as he had previously seen a Guild copy available in green and liked it."

      Delete
    5. I posted a couple of shots of it on imgur. i hope you see it ok. once you do, it will give me the confidence to do more.

      Delete
    6. You have to share the link here!

      > imgur.com
      >"new post" (top left)
      > drag picture from desktop to "drop images here"
      > wait a second or two until the gray "hidden" button (at right) is clickable, then click that
      > click green "copy link" in pop-up panel
      > dash over here and paste the link (control/command v, or something like) into a comment

      Delete
    7. https://imgur.com/2l9U5Ca

      Delete
    8. That's a sexy Tele! Nice work Rowan!

      Delete
    9. If Mars has guitars on it, I might find Rowan's on it!

      Delete
  8. I haveta share this wit' youse bums - Miles just showed up on th' IoF© (Nilsson piece) - who's next? Willard, hanging offshore because he never gets out of the boat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never Get Out Of The Foam!
      Brother, can you spare a plectrum?
      At least we know the 'dog' is stoned.
      Great story...
      Games, Dames and Guitar Thangs.
      Eddie Hazel Rules!!!
      Thank you, Del!

      Delete
  9. Here's my circa 83 Hanger. It was once a lovely dreadnought of Canadian maple, but sadly the glue gave way and the neck bent. Guy at the guitar shop told me I had a Hanger. A what? Hang it on the wall, he said; it's beyond repair. https://imgur.com/a/2N2cpya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah ... that glue-giving-way thing. I had a Baby Tayor, sweet little parlor guitar, got a lot of play, then the saddle started to dislike the soundboard, and no amount of either wood glue or two-part epoxy could change its mind. It warped out of shape under string tension.

      Delete
  10. Here's the first two (I think) Funkadelicious albums fo' yo' asses: https://workupload.com/file/BZBR4WSPvZ7

    ReplyDelete
  11. Willard! Anyone else still keep the Wormhole bookmarked?

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful piece that resonated in all sorts of ways...FTIII ain't the only one with writing chops around these parts...

    I have been blessed with a few guitars and still have 3, which is roughly two too many, but the second oldest and my love is a 1972 Thinline Tele that I got for 175USD at Ray Henning's Heart of Texas Music in teh ATX in 1978 and beat the hell outta. During my brief band stint, I had a lovely 1975 Sunn amp courtesy of a band mate and never found anything to compare, though an early 1980s Fender tube amp I had and stupidly sold was none too shabby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Eric. And I too regret selling a nice early 80s Fender amp, a rare and sweet sounding 2x10 30watt combo.

      Delete
    2. A great read indeed. During my own brief stint as a "performer" I used a Peavey T60 and a solid state Crate (shitty sound but plenty loud), both of which were entrusted to my son when I realized that he was a far better player than his old man would ever be.

      Delete
  13. Great piece Del! Finally got around to taking a picture of my electric axes and '70 Fender Bassman cab: https://imgur.com/Q8gxtyp
    (I use a 1965 Guild "Thunder I" amp picked up at a flea market for the six string though; actually the guitar is the only thing that wasn't acquired at some flea market come to think of it.) Had these for 35-40 years and still playing almost every day. Did a lot of local gigs and some touring up the Left Coast in the 80s with that little SG knock-off bass and cabinet.

    ReplyDelete