Friday, May 21, 2021

Some Steely Dan Content Advisory Dept.

Wilbur and Irving Boylan are largely forgotten today, but their pioneering use of the patented "Boylan Burner"© heat gun quietly revolutionised vinyl upholstery repair in the early 'forties. Terry and John Boylan have no connection with Wil and Irv, but achieved fame and fortune in the pop music industry under the intriguing soubriquet The Appletree Theatre, which had as little to do with one as the other. Those expecting an intriguing amalgam of horticultural and thespian activity from Playback will feel a crushing sense of betrayal.

Where this gets interesting - and it has to, at some point - is that Hall O' Foamer© Rick Nelson recorded some of the Playback songs the previous year  [1967 - Ed.] on his super-swell Another Side Of Rick album [Foamfeatured© antecedently - use the search field, ya lazy bum - Ed.].

Playback had an acknowledged influence on The Firesign Theatre, and may safely be enjoyed in tandem with Howard Robert's Antelope Freeway [also Foamfeatured© antecedently - Ed.] It's a beautiful piece of work, funny, trippy, and unique, and part of its quality is down to first-call sessioners like Larry Coryell, Eric Gale and Chuck Rainey.

"So where do Don n' Walt come in?" I hear you ask in that pinched, nasal tone you have. Well, they're all over Terry Boylan's first solo album, Alias Boona, from '69, which is here, too.

20 comments:

  1. What age did you lose your virginity? And find it again?
    17, 67.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16

    Can't find it anywhere. Looked between the cushions on the couch, in the jacket of the suit I wore yesterday, the nightstand, the kitchen counter, the coffee table. Maybe I left it at work? The coffee shop? The bar? Can't remember where I had lunch yesterday, I'll bet it's there!n Please don't ask: "Where was the last place you saw it?" if I knew that it wouldn't be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting it's in the fridge. Or on top of the fridge.

      (Your "Numbers" is up tomorrow. Swell piece!)

      Delete
  3. My virginity is hanging out with my scruples, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee whiz. I thought the "Steely Dan" clickbait would have th' Four Or Five Guys© over this like white on rice.

    The Playback album is the remaster - nobody wants? Alias Boona is worth a few lissens, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1968 trippy humour and Larry Coryell on guitar? Yes pleeze!

      Delete
    2. Here you go, Del - although the Alias Boona album may be more to your tastes?




      Delete
    3. Thanks Farq, just listened to both and in fact I much preferred the Appletrees, another very cool album discovered via the Island. I was laughing within the first few seconds, instant Firesign vibes with that stereo whispered prompt, humour, cool songs, quirky musicality, quality players and a shot of Larry C crazy guitar on You’re The Biggest Thing. Great! Boylan's Boona seemed pale and routine in comparison.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Farq, just listened to both and in fact I much preferred the Appletrees, another very cool album discovered via the Island. I was laughing within the first few seconds, instant Firesign vibes with that stereo whispered prompt, humour, cool songs, quirky musicality, quality players and a shot of Larry C crazy guitar on You’re The Biggest Thing. Great! Boylan's Boona seemed pale and routine in comparison.

      Delete
    5. pumped to get the Appletree theater thing my old cassette dub is 'bout wore out, don't know the alias one lol I just spent about ten minutes clicking on a spot on my screen I though was a stealth link but in my defense I got two injections in my eye wendsday so aren't seeing real well

      Delete
    6. I remember Playback being a big favorite of John Peel when it was released - that's where I heard it first. Taped it onto casette from my transistor radio, like you did back then.

      Delete
  5. 16. No particularly good story attached. I like both of these LPs. Check out the slow version of Subterranean Homesick Blues on Alias Boona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you have the Hamilton Streetcar album, too, which is often mistaken for a Boylan project (it has a John Boylan song on it). That's a disappointing album.

      Delete
  6. I have it but need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @"Rick" - your comment hasn't appeared here for some reason - here it is -

    "pumped to get the Appletree theater thing my old cassette dub is 'bout wore out, don't know the alias one lol I just spent about ten minutes clicking on a spot on my screen I though was a stealth link but in my defense I got two injections in my eye wendsday so aren't seeing real well"

    The link is the first word "here" in my comment above. Look for the first Delta Del comment - yellow square - just below that.

    PS I know who you are and you're always welcome here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea I found it thanx/ thanx for the welcome also 'perciate it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Farq! These sound swell and are going to look great sitting on the 'ol external hard-drive!

    ReplyDelete