Saturday, September 5, 2020

Higher Than A Cat's Back Dept. - Primal Scream

This shouldn't work, but it does. Like the album
Primal Scream has one of the most bonkers, wayward, and inexplicable careers in what we're calling pop music. Every career decision was a betrayal of the crowd the previous album attracted. Fey jangle-pop, hard rock, psychedelia, dance, gospel, house, dub - they ate it up and spat it out. When the planetary forces of drugs and music aligned, they made Screamadelica. It is what it is, and what it is is everything. Some credit producer Andrew Weatherall for its success, but it's very much a group effort. The sound is organic; detailed and sumptuous, as rich and sparkling as anything coming from the West Coast. It's cavernous with burbling synths, spacey drones, exotic instruments, horn charts, FX, and swell chick vox. But underneath this technical mastery and audacious swagger are actual songs. Good songs.


Movin' On Up is the best Stones song they never wrote. There's an accomplished version of Slip Inside This House that shows the taste and class you don't expect from '91. Brian Wilson is here in spirit - an acknowledged influence - and Inner Flight in particular could almost slip onto Friends with nobody noticing. The whole thing shimmers with hedonistic bliss, and of course it couldn't last. Follow-up albums Vanishing Point and Echo Dek are darker in tone, and the thrill is gone. As their drug intake diminished, so did the good vibes. The music became more bitter and shoutier as they got the monkeys off their backs. But they left Screamadelica for us. Never fails to lift me up and blow me away.

I ironed in the Screamadelica single (inexplicably left off the album) and some worthwhile bonus tracks. In 2011, NME voted it the druggiest album ever made. It's also one of the best.

35 comments:

  1. If for some inexplicable reason you don't gots this awready, simply name your favorite Stones album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually listening to Goats Head Soup as we speak, but my favorite (tough decision) may be Sticky Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exile is still my favorite. Got it when it first was released and still listen to it frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let It Bleed - but it's tough - on other days Exile - or indeed Aftermath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going by my iTunes counter, It's Satanic Majesties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cant stand th' Floyd unless Syd's all over it---dont need the Stones unless Jones all over it
    hoo-ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goats Head Soup isn't transformed by the new reissue, not enough for me to think it worthy of reassessment, anyway. My reaction to that album has always been "Er ..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beggars' Banquet or else Satanic Majesties. For me it's a tossup between the two

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Michigan Avenue' was a good one too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's tell the truth. Any singles collection but preferably Hot Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Or, to put it another way, yes.

      I enjoy many of their LPs but their "best of" collections quite obviously knock your socks off.

      I could say "The London Sessions" because I date back to the old days but will go with "Forty Licks" because it includes "Don't Stop" which I love.

      If I had to choose an album it would be, surprisingly, "Blue and Lonesome" mainly because of Mick. Also, I compiled a companion disc of all the original version tracks - easy to do - and that's a corker.

      Cheers, Peanuts Molloy.

      Delete
    2. Oops - hope you got it in your inbox.

      Delete
  11. probably Exile though Let it Bleed is a close second

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, no love for Sticky Fingers?

    So, Sticky Fingers, then Some Girls, then Banquet, then Let It Bleed.

    Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my guess that we all love Sticky Fingers (the album, too). How could one not?

      Delete
  13. "It is what it is, and what it is is everything."

    That reminds me of another UK album from around the same time. Anyone with any thoughts on The Boo Radley's Giant Steps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it at the time, but it flatlined for me - vocals, mainly. I can suffer Bobby Gillespie with pleasure for some reason, but the Boo's placeholder vocals ...

      Delete
    2. Well, it also is a bit of overkill at 17 tracks across almost 65 minutes. You can weed a good album out of it but sometimes too much can be too much...

      Delete
  14. I never would have guessed you for a Primal Scream fan. I thought the genre-hopping was just exchanging one costume for another, but you phrase it in a way that can be seen as a point of pride: "Every career decision was a betrayal of the crowd the previous album attracted." Thank you for presenting a different way to think about it.

    Echo Dek is the only Primal Scream album I own, mainly because I dig Adrian Sherwood and heard him say in an interview that it's one of the productions he's most proud of.

    Favorite Stones album... is there a compilation of Keef's lead vocals? Nothing against the other singer, but Keith has saved some great songs for himself, and whatever he lacks in range he makes up for in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll up the album for you later. Thanks for the comment, jonder!

      Delete
    2. Et le voilà!

      https://workupload.com/file/HkBxH2nuNPf

      Delete
    3. The only Primal Scream album I own is their hard rock extravaganza EXCTR, which, erm, failed to exct me.

      Delete
    4. XTRMNTR? Something like that. I bailed at that point - all the subtlety was bludgeoned to death, along with my eardrums. Went down well with Serious Young Things at the time, though.

      Delete
    5. Before They Make Me Run FTW!

      Delete
    6. You're right it's XTRMNTR and xtrmnrtd all desires to deep dive into the band. But I'll give this a listen...

      Delete
  15. "Stones" by Neil Diamond.

    It's true!:

    https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Diamond-Stones/master/23446

    ReplyDelete