Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Johnny McLaughlin Rocks A Jazz Beret

This is an amusing little piece I found while performing a routine home invasion to support my crack habit. You never know what you will find on these expeditions! It was only some years later that I got around to playing it, after a career hiatus in Joliet, and it has some musical as well as historical merit. The liner notes give no information about venue and dates, but the album was pressed by Fontana in 1967, and I'm guessing they're live recordings from Ronnie Scott's famous Soho [London - Ed.] club in the same year. The future jazzrock fretmelter is here in mellow mood, "sitting in" with a couple of different line-ups. Put on your jazz beret, light up a Gauloise, and imagine yourself wondering what the fuck you're doing at Ronnie Scott's when all the dolly-birds are a few blocks away at The Marquee. Which is probably what Johnny McLaughlin was doing.

6 comments:

  1. A fur piece from Johnny's later work with Miles, Mahavishnu and Shakti. What a find! By the way, after several misspent hours p̶a̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ poring over past posts, I've just now fully taken in the imagery atop your blog. The fellow holding two signs puzzles me. Does he have multiple personality disorder? Is he riddled with ambivalence? He seems to me to be an ordinary Amurrican in dress and demeanor. What gives, Throck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's the guy that achieved memehood by holding up a sign that said GET A BRAIN MORANS.

    INFO HERE: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-a-brain-morans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Farq any chance of re-upping this to a non-zippy host? I’m intrigued by an album that just drew a complete blank on a google search and always interested in Johnny McL’s pre-Mahavishnu stuff.

    And p.s. I’m very pleased that you got a smile or two from checkin out my blog cos I get plenty from yours. And talkin of smiles, felt like one spread out from the USA around the world yesterday. Didnt extend to my government of Trump-fanboy populist liars of course. I saw someone on twitter likened our prime minister to the kid who hangs around with the school bully and turns up at school one day to find the bully expelled. What happened yesterday gives us hope for the day we get to expel Johnson and his crew of lying shits. Thankyou USA!

    ReplyDelete