Thursday, July 4, 2024

TL-DR Dept. - Return Ticket To Terrapin Station

Cute, huh? Artwork by False Memory Foam© Department Of Art Dept.


Relax. This isn't an Albums What Never Was, although it started out that way. Terrapin Station was a more than usually problematic Dead studio album. Problematic for DeadHeads™, mainly. The rest of us don't have enough skin in the game to make a hangnail. The band didn't like it much either, and it offended lyricist Robert Hunter so much he did a massive showbiz doorslam flounce. Here's a list of the crimes the album committed:

1 Used LA producer, recorded in LA, FFS

2 Overdubbed strings, horns, choir, arranged by snaggle-toothed, whey-faced Brits in London, FFS

3 Included a schmaltzy Girl's Song, by a Girl, FFS

4 Attempted disco, FFS

It never stood a chance, right? Except that it sold pretty well, their first studio album to go gold since American Beauty. And it introduced the band to an audience who weren't DeadHeads™ but liked Abbey Road and Atom Heart Mother, both featuring a long suite on one side and a bunch of songs on the other. The format was familiar, and attractive to yer average rock fan.

It's a clumsy parade float of an album that paradoxically contains some of the loveliest music the Dead ever recorded. Of the song side only Estimated Prophet and Passenger make the grade, with deceptively complex structures, dynamic performance, and glossy studio muscle. The tepid disco-lite cover of Dancin' In The Streets and grunty fake gospel Samson And Delilah weren't high on anybody's Christmas list, but they saved the worst for last - Donna's Sunrise was the musical equivalent of a weekend at Gwyneth Paltrow's wellness spa. Seemingly flown in from another album entirely, it gave me the horse staggers.

That wasn't all - the last third of the Terrapin suite drifted off down a side track, squandering the mood so beautifully built with a long, boring, repetitive, boring, repetitive, long orchestral fade where the piece cried out for a magnificent terminus, FFS! A resolution also missing in Hunter's own Part Two, which you can struggle through on his solo album, if you hate yourself enough. It's unsurprising the Dead didn't devote an entire album to it, duh. Maybe - just maybe - this had a teentsy-weentsy influence on Hunter's decision to take his quill and parchment elsewhere, in addition to his moral high ground on the production values. A shame, as his lyrics for Terrapin are astonishing:

Inspiration move me brightly
Light the song with sense and color
Hold away despair
More than this I will not ask
Faced with mysteries dark and vast
Statements just seem vain at last
Some rise, some fall, some climb
To get to Terrapin
Counting stars by candlelight
All are dim but one is bright:
The spiral light of Venus
Rising first and shining best
From the northwest corner
Of a brand-new crescent moon
Crickets and cicadas sing
A rare and different tune

The lyrics are matched by Garcia's beautiful composition and playing in sublime synergy. Music doesn't get more musicy than this. It's an album I wanted to play more, but found myself just listening to the suite, and then wandering off before it finished, much like it did itself.

And then, for the first time in decades, I listened to Sunrise, on its own, out of context, and two thoughts occurred to me simultaneantly, rewiring my cerebral cortex and opening a Mystic Door within me. Those thoughts, Dear Reader? 1: It's actually a gorgeous song, beautifully sung, FFS. And B: it sounds like the Terrapin suite. Hmm ... textures, mood, orchestral arrangement, even lyrics - firelight, storytelling ...  wo-ah! Wait a goddamn minute here!

In the fever of divine inspiration, I labored long into the night in the False Memory Foam Island© Laboratory O' Sound® [left - Ed.], ignoring Kreemé's tearful supplications to let her make me happier than any man alive.

The result is now yours to enjoy. Not only has Sunrise been seamlessly woven into the fabric at exactly the right moment, acres of orchestral repetition have been carpet-bombed, and there's a subtle yet richly satisfying coda. Gasp at the audacity of the concept! Applaud the consummate artistry of its execution! Wonder how you ever lived without it!

What you do with that "problematic" first side is up to you - my work is done.

This old-school FMF Legacy© post funded in part by The Steve Hoffman Mullet Museum, Pork Bend OH

 


19 comments:

  1. There's even an old-school Stealth Link© to bring back happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy memories, indeed! Thanks, Farq!!!
      D in California

      Delete
  2. Great to see you have twiddled the knobs again Farq welcome back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I wouldn't be doing this if Babs hadn't begged me to keep interest in the internet alive during her hiatus. As you know, the internet is basically dead in the water, kept afloat only by a few Olds sharing music files. She was rightly worried that it might "go dark" during the week she has to get her Southampton Beach Chick-fil-A concession up and running. So I stepped up, because I'm a step-up guy.

      Delete
  3. I frisbeed my copy long ago after probably only two listens, but this is an 'album 'reimagined' and worth all your efforts and divine inspiration. The sweetening of the strings still makes my teeth ache though. I guess there are ways these days to remove those, but I'm not asking you to put yourself out that far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never cared enough to listen to the original once and that's not changing now but I always enjoy an opportunity to come and sip a mai tai on the shores of Foam Island while basking in its fragrant aroma. Cheers and thanks for keeping the internet's lights on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't going to change anybody's mind (nothing on the internet does), and if you didn't like the album, listening to this isn't going to make you like it. I did it for my own enjoyment, so I can appreciate the suite and "Sunrise" better. The problems I had with it weren't the DeadHead's horror of the crimes listed in the piece - I always mostly enjoyed it, and didn't prefer the live version(s), which is DeadHead Holy Scripture. I liked that they were trying something radically different (even if they didn't).
      But if you "never cared enough to listen to the original once", maybe you might listen to this. It's eighteen minutes long, and there's a good chance you'll find something to care about nine of them just a little.

      Delete
    2. ahhhhh alrighhttt ... fine! I'll guess it wouldn't kill me to listen ... gee whiz (hangs head abashedly).

      Delete
  5. I've always liked Terrapin Station, but that's just me. I'm a bit of sucker for catchy tunes.

    In other news, there's a new Rain Parade ep, which is a sampler for a new lp sometime in the future. Sonically it's just my rough grab from the net. Nice cover though.

    Last Stop On The Underground.

    Stealth link here: https://workupload.com/file/BdZcaMduTVB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pinch your claws, Ger! Listening as we speak. Sounds swell! How these guys manage to be melancholic and uplifting simultaneantly is a very clever trick indeed. Gawd, I love this band. Bought the first album on import from a mail order list, on the strength of their name and the name of the album - how could it not be brilliant? I wasn't disappointed, and never have been since.

      Delete
    2. I read in this nice interview that there was an extended 2012 release of "Explosions In The Glass Palace" that I don't have!!! OH NOES!!!

      https://www.gimmepaperface.com/post/rain-parades-matt-piucci-it-has-been-a-joy-to-learn-that-so-many-bands-have-told-us-how-importan

      Delete
  6. I too love Rain Parade, saw them in London when they first toured. Wonderful that they are still out there. Some of us Brits couldn't get enough of that 'Paisley' sound. Silly term I suppose, but I still wear the shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh No! indeed. That's going to bug me for a bit. 2 very expenive copies on Discogs, and not selling to UK anyway. Hope it turns up as a download someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw them open for Dave Alvin's "Third Mind" at Mississippi Music in Portland, Oregon, last January. Wonderful! How do I share photos here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't embed images into comments, but you can upload them to a host site (e.g. imgur) and link to that here. Meanwhile, here's The Third Mind's two albums, and gee, are they ever swell!

      https://workupload.com/file/kNHyYD8RpXb

      Delete
  9. Hey...I thought that fab album cover and your rework deserved a bigger and better spot than a random post on Babs' site...and here it is...good job, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank 'ee! What struck me, after I'd stuffed my preconceptions about what the Dead should sound like where the sun don't shine, was that Sunrise is a gorgeous piece of music.

      Delete
  10. Compellingly weird fin-de-siècle studio excess. I shouldn't like it but I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Compellingly weird fin-de-siècle studio excess" has always been more than a catchphrase on th' IoF©, it's a slogan!

      Delete