Sunday, May 15, 2022

Lowell George's Blue Plate Special Dept.

It’s pretty generally accepted [asserts One Buck Guy - Ed.] that Little Feat didn’t become the Little Feat we all love until at least their second album, “Sailin’ Shoes”, if not “Dixie Chicken” with the classic six-piece line-up. The first album got them noticed, not necessarily by the general public as it pretty much sold jack and shit, then at least by the critics, and it consolidated their signing to Warner Brothers, back when you could have multiple underperforming records (“Sailin’ Shoes” only sold a couple of copies more) without anyone dropping you from the label. 

I’ve always liked that first album, though. It certainly is rough around the edges. The sound is still hung up deep in the blues rather than the New Orleans R & B the band would soon trade in and has traces of the garage rock of his former band. Not sure the Howlin’ Wolf stuff was a good fit. And you can see why they re-cut the classic-in-waiting “Willin’”. The makings of something good are there, but the band was still putting it together. One of the issues, I think, is Russ Titleman’s production, which makes the album seem somewhat feature-less, slightly mushy, with most of the instruments being largely indistinguishable. Seemingly, Lowell and Titleman hated working with each other. Still, the highs are high: “Truck Stop Girl”, “Brides Of Jesus”, “I’ve Been The One”, “Strawberry Flats”. They would get more refined really quickly, but there is a ramshackle charm to this first outing that sounds like nothing else in the Feat discography. 


Fast forward a couple of years, when the end is nigh. Lowell George is pretty out of it: his mind, his songwriting, performing with the band. Drugs are, I’m told, a hell of a drug. Coca-haine, running through my brain and all that. Years of junk food had made him balloon all the way to 300+ pounds.  Just compare George to even in 1975 when Feat’s fortune’s were slipping. He was still at a decent 180 pounds and still in full control of his powers. But they were fading, and he and the band drifted apart. It was a vicious cycle of sorts: Lowell’s songwriting well began to run dry, so the other band members stepped up with more contributions, which with their new jazz-fusion leanings further alienated George, who in turn became even more passive in his dealings with the band. Payne and Lowell were a fabulous songwriting duo during the early days of the band, but now Payne and Barrère started to become closer collaborators, with Lowell shut out, or, shuttting himself out. The Feat plowed on, but they were fast becoming something different from the previous group.


In that pretty volatile situation, Lowell dropped his solo album, Thanks I’ll Eat It Here. He had negotiated for a solo deal years earlier, mainly to use the record company advance to keep the band alive and going during lean periods. And then, from 1975 onwards, he occasionally recorded what would become his solo record. When the rest of the group learned that Lowell, now more or less completely isolated from the rest of the group, would not only release a solo record, but tour behind it, they were crestfallen. Work on a new record – which would become Down On The Farm – had been slow, and was now halted. Essentially, Little Feat were put on hold, though the account of who dropped who, whether the band split up or took an, ahem, infinite hiatus largely depends on who tells the story. 


If only Lowell’s solo platter would have been worth it. But, man, what a disappointment it turned out to be. Barely a half hour worth of music with a skimpy new three authored or co-authored Lowell songs, the rest filled up with covers of Toussaint, Rickie Lee Jones, Jimmy Webb and even himself. Ann Peebles’ “I Can’t Stand The Rain” was fine, but predictable, while the music hall whimsy of “Himmler’s Ring” was – at least to my ears – absolutely atrocious. Whatever you think of the individual songs, it’s hard to deny that there is an almost complete lack of energy here. The album would be pretty much a total wash, if not for “20 Million Things”, Lowell’s collaboration with Roger McGuinn’s (and Dylan’s) old running mate Jacques Levy. 


One great song does not a comeback make, but when Little Feat completed and released Down On The Farm a couple of months after Lowell’s death, there were signs that the well of George’s songwriting hadn’t been completely dry. Call me crazy, but “Six Feet Of Snow”, “Kokomo”, “Straight From The Heart” and “Be One Now” pretty much beat the tar out of most of what George had been coming up with since 1975. And yet, the rest of the album also illustrates the gulf between the group as it had been, with the Feat starting to sound like Gaucho-era Steely Dan (no, that’s not a compliment in my book) on tracks like “Perfect Imperfection” (despite Lowell on vocals) and “Wake Up Dreaming”. Still, if the Lowell tracks on Down On The Farm are any indication, the fire was greatly diminished, but not completely extinguished yet. But Lowell was gone, and so was Little Feat, at least for a while. And the rest is another story. 


The attached music offering is a collection of lesser known odds’n’ends Lowell stuff, quite a bit of it with Little Feat. 


Roll Um Easy

Yeah, let’s get rolling with this fine solo remake of the Feat track off Dixie Chicken, done for possible inclusion on his solo album. Maybe he felt a redone “Two Trains” was enough, given the skimpy running time, though, this would have been nice to have on Thank’s I’ll Eat It Here Later. For me, it also beats that Trains remake rather easily


Doriville

One of the loveliest Feat outtakes. This deserves to be much wider known. Just an absolute beauty.


Good Lovin’

The track that got this whole project started, Lowell being backed by The Grateful Dead on this outtake from the Shakedown Street sessions. It’s raucous, it’s rowdy, it’s slightly off-kilter – it’s very Dead and very very Lowell.


Crack In Your Door

The earliest version, with an embryonic Feat.


Brickyard Blues (Play Something Sweet)

Really good outtake, certainly better than some of the stuff that made the records.


Willin’ 

Lovely live version from 1974 with some quicksilvery, extra lovely piano work from Bill Payne. I might be critical of some of the man’s latter Feat feats, but this is fantastic. 


Feats Don’t Fail Me Now 

Lively alternative version. The classic Feat New Orleans R’n’B.


Easy To Fall (Easy To Slip)

One of two demos they gave the Doobie Brothers. The Ted Templeman connection I guess. The Doobies didn’t use them, too bad for them. I really like the mid-tempo shuffle of this one.


Long Distance Love

The original version of the song with an extra verse before they rejigerred the Feats Don’t Fail Me Album. It sounds more like a demo and the vocal is curiously flat with an odd cadence. Admittedly it’s not a patch on the published version, but not very widely circulated and thus right at home with the assorted odds’n’ends here.


Rock’n’Roll Doctor

Alternative version with a horn section. The song cooks either way, of course, the horns are a nice extra touch they seemingly decided they didn’t need, but let’s be real, it would have been an instant Feat classic in any of these versions.


Fool On The Avenue

Lowell solo demo from 1975, just the man and his guitar. Lovely stuff.


Wait Til The Shit Hits The Fan

Early version of “The Fan”, as rowdy and garage-y as early Feat would get. Just listen to those frat boy “Whoh”s.


Juliet

 Like “Crack In  Your Door”, this is from the pre-Warner Brothers session


Two Trains

Lowell’s demo for the band: him, his trusty drum machine and even more trusty guitar. A killer, even in this early unadorned form.


Heartache 

Unfortunately never properly recorded for reasons unknown, the demo with Valerie Carter was attached as a bonus track to Thanks I’ll Eat It Here. This is from a radio appearance in 1974, slightly rough sound quality, but it’s Lowell & Linda. ‘Nuff said. 


Rat Faced Dog

More early, rowdy Feat, cookin’ up some hard boogie. Guitar freaks will love the work out. 


What Do You Want The Girl To Do

From his solo tour, with his really slick backing band, this is almost disco. Lovely background (due to the mix almost duet) vocals by Maxine Dixon. Recorded three days before his death, more proof that reports of him being some sort of unsalvagable wreck at the end were mostly unfounded, at least as far as stage performance is concerned. 


Texas Rose Café

The second demo for the Doobies.


China White

A song that stayed with Lowell from the early 70’s until he finally recorded it in 1978. Published on “Hoy-Hoy!”, from the slow build to the bluesy middle to the full-blown gospel choir, this is a lot of Lowell in a nutshell.


20 Million Things

For me personally, this is Lowell’s masterpiece, and thus there was no other way to end this collection. If I listen to this with one ear, I sing along (as well as possible) to it, if I listen intently I get choked up. This gets me, totally, every time. It’s also an understated tribute to Lowell’s talents. Somewhere adrift on this island is a discussion between the Farqster and yours truly, about how hard it is to sing along to this seemingly straightforward song, because Lowell does some interesting things with his vocal delivery, always a tick earlier or later than you would expect. And, man, that Lowell (or Levy) could turn a phrase: “...all the letters never written, that don’t get sent”. Lyrically and in sentiment a close cousin to Jim Croce’s “Time In A Bottle”, both remind us of how both their respective authors had approximately 20 Million Things still left to do, and no time left to do them. Forgive the slightly distant sound quality, for extra poignancy this is the last ever “20 Million Things” from the Lisner Auditorium during Lowell’s last concert. Three songs later he would stop singing. One day later he was gone. Time had slipped away. 


And we miss him, still, and always. 




43 comments:

  1. We'll talk about whatever Babs wants us to. I don't make the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's think back to when we were in school (not college or as the Brits call it: "University"), and tell us about your favorite teacher. You know, the one who made a difference in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the angry closeted homosexual "Reverend" Kelly, who took Religious Instruction classes. He once gave me five hundred (long) lines for some minor infraction. I got off lightly.

      Delete
    2. My Form 2 teacher Mr. Peter Greenwood ...yes his real name. Started the whole ball rolling for me with my interest in history, religion, politics, economics.

      Delete
    3. My last English teacher - Mr Raymond Willis. He was the first man I'd ever heard crying, which happened when he read something to us which touched him - like a Gerard Manley Hopkins poem. It spoke volumes for the respect everyone had for him that no one ever thought it was strange or weak. It was just him.
      I was pretty much his star pupil and he forecast an A* in my Eng Lit A Level. I fucked up royally - due to a fondness for playing guitar and smoking dope rather than studying - and got a D. It was a pass, but not a good one on an A to E scale.

      Delete
    4. can I dl this here?

      Delete
  3. Hot Math(s) Teacher in West Germany; U.S. school was located on an Army Base in the early 1970s. "Cougar" might be the term used/abused these days? Man, I learned the metric system from her like it was nobody's business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As regular readers already know (assuming they pay attention, and not off their meds), I’m a retired mathematician. When I was in high school (1964 - 1967), opportunities for women in the field of mathematics were limited to bookkeeping or teaching, or so I was told, until I met a mathematics teacher, by the name Myra Greenbaum, or as we called her “Miss G”.

    Miss G was the first person I met, who loved math as much as I did, and could do complicated math in her head as I could (I’m pretty sure we’re both somewhere “on the spectrum”). Be that as it may, she gave me the self-confidence or audacity to major in pure mathematics, and also introduced me to the works of Kiyosi Itô, who invented the concept of stochastic integrals, stochastic differential equations, and the founder of Itô calculus. In 1976, I received a PhD in Itô calculus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do know we made numbers up, right? As a function of language? That there isn't "two" of anything?

      Delete
    2. I think my brain just exploded, Babs...
      If it gets any more advanced than dx over dy (is that a thing?) I start getting anxious.

      Delete
    3. Maths teachers ! We had one that made you remember pi to 6 decimal places by getting you to stand at the front of the class, put your head down and charge at the wall whilst reciting 3.141593 until it got into your thick skull.

      Did it work? Well I've just had to google it to get the answer, so I guess not.

      Delete
    4. dx over dy is an Implicit Differentiation.

      Delete
    5. Differentiation rings a bell. Implicit, not so much. If at all.

      Delete
  5. I never had a favorite teacher, and none of them made a difference in my life. I only remember the names of one of my grade school teachers, and two from high school, none from college. School was a grinding torture, I would burn my high school to the ground and salt the earth so nothing could ever grow there again, except CA felony aggravated arson would get me life.

    On a jollier note, my favorite LP on this planet (John Cale's Paris 1919 has Lowell George as one of the musicians (and I recall some other members of LF were on it, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, jeez, this is DRaftervoi yappin', not Anonymous. I've seen that Anonymous guy around the Intertubes for years and I ain't that lug.

      Delete
    2. Seen most frequently from behind in dimly-lit rooms, Anonymous has a heavily pixellated face and a robotic voice. Closeups of his hands are frequently used, but they may not be his.

      Delete
  6. @ One Buck Guy - very nice screed, good Sir, and I’m looking forward to hearing your picks!

    One time, at three in the morning, I finished a paper that was due the next day. To celebrate, I rolled a “fat (phat?) one”, opened my dorm room window that was in front of my desk and lit it. The next thing I knew, a gust of wind sucked my paper out the window, and on to the campus below. I had to run down three flights of stairs in my nightie, and chase it for a few minutes until the wind calmed down, and I was able to catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's Q.E.D's payment - two shitloads of Featlegs, tagged with new and swell art, at th' Bitrate O' Th' Workin' Stiff. I'll also loadup the art separately, should youse bums be desirous of that-type option.

    Big Feat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, school teachers. Le topic du jour du mois de l'année.

    The more I teach young folks coming out of high school having no idea how to structure their thoughts, how to analyze (or even read and understand) a text or how to start the simplest of personal expressions, the more I appreciate that my high school teachers - weird bunch that they were - really taught us independent thinking and writing. Obviously one of the best skills to have, and one that is certainly in short and shorter reply with every passing year.

    Having said that, some of these guys were weird with a capital W. My favorite was probably our bio teacher and ornithologist who would drop whatever subject he was talking about at the slightest hint of a bird call, open the window wide and with a pure undiluted childish joy would describe which bird that is and what is up to. You could tell the guy loved his hobby and while at the time we laughed at the dude and his eccentricities, looking back on it a little older and a little wiser, I appreciate how enthusiastic this guy was about his hobby and how happy he was to try to get us to partake in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OBG/all, talking of birdsong, the remarkable Slow Motion Blackbird was on my radio last night, if you've not heard it, please find 6 minutes to listen, yewchewb below.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXGtTCWfRMo

      Delete
  9. Thanks OBG I look forward to hearing this.

    My secondary school was awful, the teachers and most of the pupils. The school building was just like a British prison, lots of rooms off an assembly hall, I hated it, consequently I have erased most memories of that school.
    Does anyone think 'schooldays are the best years of your life'? - for me the best days started when I left school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved school - home wasn't that great and school was an escape.

      Delete
  10. Many thanks, OBG! A superb compilation of assorted LG-related goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OBG, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your commentary. I am indeed old enough to have seen Little Feat, in 1976 supporting the Who at Charlton in the pouring rain but apart from The Best Of that I bought many years ago have never really heard much, so looking forward to listening to it.
    The attached will not win any prizes for Rock photographer of the year, but I believe it is them at Charlton (its not The Who or SAHB anyway).

    https://www.imagenetz.de/k425y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Charlton gig in quite good quality. You want?

      Delete
    2. I've got The Who set, but if you mean any if the ofhers then gladly.

      I've just been reliving my memories of it, below, some of the phitos are nearly as bad as mine, but in colour.

      Chucked it down all day until The Who came on, delays because of someone climbing up the lighting rig, one of the first laser shows, everyone singing along to 'listening to you I hear the music' with the lights full on. It was in the Guiness Book if Records as the loudest ever concert.

      https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/who-ptbin-76-vftmud.html

      Delete
    3. I meant the Feat set. Here it is. I believe Capital Radio recorded it for later broadcast, which would explain why it sounds as good as it does.
      I put your photo in the folder.
      I wish SAHB had been recorded.

      https://workupload.com/file/fuXCws4YrPn

      Delete
    4. Looks as if SAHB were recorded! Not great SQ.

      https://soundcloud.com/scottish-post-punk/sets/sensational-alex-harvey-band-charlton-1976

      Delete
    5. Bloody hell, good work, just remembering more about it now. We arruved lare as our car broke down and had to catch a train instead, so missed all but the last 3 acts. There had been masses of counterfeit tickets sold so it was packed and did I mention the rain! Luckily we had some plastic sheeting that we brought with us so stayed fairly dry. The dj played records in berween sets which sounded incredible to us at such volume. Getting the train back to Kings Cross, having to climb over wiremesh fencing to jump the queues to get into the station otherwise we would gave missed the last train home....

      Delete
    6. Masses of info on Charlton here.

      https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/who-ptbin-76-vftmud.html

      Delete
  12. mrs isaly, my kindergarten teacher who pretended i hadn't peed my pants and sister mary ida mae my first grade teacher who thought i was swell. kindness and confidence are very helpful in the begining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My 10th grade English honors teacher, Mr. Flagler, was my favorite. Great teacher, great story teller.

    Great piece OBG! Looking forward to hearing this one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, OBG! You deserve a MBE!

    Coincidentally (or perhaps providentially), Searnav just shared a Lowell Feat boot from The Amazing Kornyfone Record Label (Winterland 1976) over at TZ:

    https://twilightzone-rideyourpony.blogspot.com/2022/05/and-now-for-something-completely_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's Ben Fong-Torres' Little Feat bio - in pdf, epub and mobi, so everyone should be able to read it.

    Also the Lowell George bio. Warning! This is from archive.org and is a bit of a mess. Horrible line breaks, mistakes, strange bits of graphics, gobbledegook and other errors. However, it's still readable. It's the only copy I could find anywhere.

    https://workupload.com/file/gRx2u5P5ebz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Just: Thank you all
    Huey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Up-re: https://workupload.com/file/wySeYevwmKV

    ReplyDelete