Monday, May 30, 2022

The Lawn Boys' Malaise Years Dept.




In this heirloom double-header FoamFeature™, Steve Shark and FT3 pick through the Beach Boys' Malaise Years, finding some treasure in the flotsam and jetsam.


Steve Shark opines:

 "I'm practically a member of the band...Brian's got the talent to make the music...he's the creator. The other band members are just performers. So I'm the one who's making the album."

Yet one more egomaniacal quote from Murry Wilson?

Nope.

That was Brian Wilson's psychologist Eugene Landy in 1985, when interviewed about the new album "The Beach Boys". He got songwriting co-credits for all the Brian songs on it, although he lost them (hooray!) later. The whole Wilson/Landy saga is so convoluted that I'm not even going to try to begin to describe it. The above quote will have to suffice for now.

Out of all the band's recorded output, it's probably one of the Beach Boys' albums I'd have least wanted to claim any credit for because it's an absolute turkey. With some tracks using synths for everything instrumental, as well as uninspired and uninspiring material, its sales showed what Joe Public thought of it - #52 in the Billboard 200 and #60 in the UK Top 100 album chart. The vocals are great, with Carl, Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce all singing really well, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell of them saving "California Calling" - a "Surfin' USA" clone that sucks more than a sucking sucker which sucks. If it wasn't the Beach Boys, it'd be a cruel parody. Even the cover art is shite.

1985 was also the year of Live Aid and the Beach Boys duly took part, delivering a performance that was lacklustre, quite frankly. Mike Love's lead vocals, in particular, were poor and even his harmonies were way off at times. It was a chance to make a global comeback just two years after Dennis' death, and a golden opportunity to promote their new album, but it proved to be just one more mediocre chapter in the band's career at that time.

Although the band carried on gigging, just 4 more studio albums were released after that. "Still Cruisin'" (1989) was moderately successful but mostly a repackaging of music that had been used in films. 1992's "Summer in Paradise" sold less than 1000 copies on its first day of release and the poor sales contributed to its distribution company going bankrupt. Almost inevitably the downward spiral continued with "Stars and Stripes Vol. 1", which featured guest vocals on a mixture of the guests' songs and old Beach Boys hits. It was the last studio album to feature Carl, and it's a blessing that Volume 2 never appeared. To quote one critic, it was an "unmitigated disaster". 2012 saw the release of the last Beach Boys studio album "That's Why God Made the Radio", with the return of David Marks for one track, but it was better received this time. It was their highest charting studio album since 1965's "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - not that its content was anywhere remotely near as good.

So, a mere 4 studio albums since 1985's "The Beach Boys", although a staggering 50+ assorted live, archive and repackaged hits albums over the same time frame.

Tryin' to keep the summer alive.
Even the following year was an arid period for Beach Boys fans - but there was one glittering gem amongst all those turds in the mid 1980s, and what a gem it was!

"California Dreamin'" (yes, *that* California Dreamin') was a one-off single produced by Terry Melcher in 1986 and, to my ears, surpasses the original by considerably more than a few country miles.

It's a fairly simple arrangement, with prominent bass and drums, but the real icing on the cake is several tracks of gorgeous electric 12-string from ex-Byrd Roger McGuinn. I'm assuming it's all Rog [he gets the credit - Ed.], it sounds like it, although some could be BB session regular Jeff Foskett. There's also an acoustic 12 string guitar, possibly a synth pad adding ambient body to the overall sound, tambourines, and two brief sax solos - player unknown. It concludes with McGuinn's Rick 12 chiming during the fade. The vocals, as ever, are sublime and it's quite simply a stunning track - right up there with the very, very best that the band ever recorded.

It has a real goosebump moment for me. The first beat of the fourth bar of McGuinn's solo has him playing a note (a sharpened 9th over the root minor chord for music buffs) that sounds so discordant but works so beautifully. One of his very finest moments ever.

The video for the track is well worth seeing, too:



Shot in black and white, it's a sombre take on the whole California vibe, as befits the lyrics. There's Brian, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce dressed for the winter weather going into a large church, with Papa John Phillips playing the rather saturnine looking priest, and also miming to the sax solo. McGuinn makes an appearance on the balcony playing his Rick and the camera zooms right in to his trademark tinted granny glasses during the solo. There's also Mama Michelle Phillips in the video who fades in and out - as do John P, McGuinn and the five Beach Boys themselves. So, they're all apparitions, It's interesting to ponder why the Beach Boys go into the church seemingly solid but when leaving it, they fade away to nothing.

It's all very bleak and almost like a funeral service without someone dead to mourn, or even some sort of black mass. At one point, a close up of Brian [above - Ed.] shows a quite chilling expression that's a million miles away from sunny California.  All in all, quite, quite remarkable.

"California Dreamin'" stiffed (no pun intended), only reaching #52 in the US charts and failing to enter the UK charts altogether. It got an album release later that year on a hits collection which went platinum, although I doubt it was down to the inclusion of the single.


FT3 avers:


I *cough* curated Low Tide [alternate cover, left - Ed.] a while back because there's a few late Beach Boys albums that even I, a broken man too tough to cry, avoid like beached jellyfish during my bathrobe stumbles along the ocean's edge. Albums I don't even own in digital form, whose titles I cannot bring myself to utter, so gravid are they with Lovecraftian horror. But I wanted to keep the few good-to-great songs from this period, and this gathering thereof came out surprisingly swell, given the disparate (and shit) sources, and the collection gets mucho kudos down at fabled Imaginary Friends Tiki Hut®.

If you were prescient enough to download it antecedently, do it again, on account which it's now got California Dreamin', which Steve reckons is not only better than the original (*splutter*) but as good as Good Vibrations (*choke*). Of particular note are the superior Kokomo and Somewhere Near Japan, both benefitting from John Phillips' participation, but the whole album's a simple pleasure, if you're in the market for that kind of thing - and nobody is, in these doomscrolling times in which we're living in. Forgiving the 'eighties production values is easier, and more rewarding, than you might think. It's the songs. And the singing. It's The Beach Boys. Even the borderline insulting Brian's Back (thanks, Mike) is saved by an ear-worm verse and a swooning chorus with Carl at his most angelic. The synthetics and generics and the corny lryics are everywhere redeemed by tunes and singing only these guys could come up with.

It means you can skip gaily from LA Light Album, assuming you've already gathered your skirts and vaulted over MIU, to That's Why God Made The Radio, scooping up Low Tide with a beachcomber's beady-eyed glee. 

Incidentally, some of Steve's opinions in the above screed make my sunken cheeks color with unreasoning anger, and if he were here I'd beat him about the head and shoulders with a bag of glass noodles. But I'm a professional, so I rise above it.



This post made fungible thru' catering services from Arnie's Kup O' Kake©, Pismo Beach CA, - "when a cupcake just ain't enough!™"












45 comments:

  1. Th' Shark Sez: "To win this curate's egg, how do you like your eggs in the morning? Failing that, what's your breakfast of choice?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs Benedictine.

    --Tod Browning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at San Francisco's Cliff House back in '80-'82. Flippin' omelettes. Forty-five varieties. I flipped 400-500 per shift. So...Spinach n' feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I just listened to the Fat Boys/Beach Boys team-up from '87, and it's pretty good.

      Delete
  4. Soft boiled or in pancakes. I believe I hate the beach boys, they cancelled as did the doobies, so my first concert I paid to see was Bob Marley instead. perhaps your selections will help change my belief.
    Bucephalus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comp isn't going to overcome your hatred, which will fester within you like a canker until you die.

      Delete
  5. These days, I poach my eggs in the nuker, but that's been just a few weeks. I mostly write to post another relatively rare appearance by Mr. McGuinn. In 1991, Willie Nile returned to the major leagues with an album titled "Places I Have Never Been". Roger is all over track 2, singing and playing. Here's "Rite Of Spring."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQn6mMZAKM

    ReplyDelete
  6. half a bagel, egg sunnyside fried in bacon fat. jalapeno jack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not being an egg eater, usually, after a very strong cashew milk cappuccino, and before I walk, I have some sort of smoothie. This morning I had a banana peach smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No breakfast here - just two cups of good coffee and much vaping.
    Breakfast of Champions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Individually fried in bacon fat, cooked on both sides but runny yolk, slice o' American cheese melted on top, the whole enchilada recumbent upon a buttered slice o' cheap toast. I don't have this meal (with up to 8 eggs, but usually 6 since my biggest dinner plate can hold the latter) for breaky, tho, as it's a dinner.
    I concur with the Farqster that the original Cali Dreaming is superior to the BB (very) '80s version, and since Good Vibrations is simply one of the greatest things -- not just songs -- ever, no other BB song ever could approach it on the mountaintop. Peripherally, what was it about '65-'66 that produced Eight Miles High, Good Vibrations, Tomorrow Never Knows, Summer In The City and Like A Rolling Stone? Drugs, before they ate the beast from the inside? Real influence and cross-pollination rather than attempts to exhibit eclecticism?
    C in California (just up the road from Pismo Beach, where I've yet to enjoy a meal at Arnie's Kup O' Kake)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arnie's licence was revoked after a child found an elk's ear in his Gummi Bear Whip, so his presence on the beach is fleeting. Look for the pink n' primer Toyota with the trunk open!

      Delete
  10. Summer breakfast, fruit and yogurt
    Winter porridge with berry fruits.

    Really like That's Why God Made The Radio the track.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm..."right up there with the very best" doesn't mean better than "Good Vibrations". It just means that I like CD very much - along with Heroes & Villains, Feel Flows, Sail on Sailor and other great tracks.
    Fortunately, there's no pressure on me to have a personal BB's top 10 or top 20 or top 50 or top 100. I like what I like when I like.
    I don't have to make any sort of choice because I can have it ALL.
    As for CD being better by the BBs than the Mamas, etc, well at least I didn't say I preferred Barry McGuire's version. Now that really is dogshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm ... back atcha! I hope you're not getting defensive. Nobody here has to have a personal Top Ten of anything and everybody likes what they like (as the random results show, in all their scattershot wonderfulness).

      Your opinion is "as good as" mine. But I said "as good as" (ie "up there with") - not better than!. And GV was my choice of their very, very best. Okay? Still pals?

      Delete
    2. I find ranklng music a real problem.
      Sure, there are some things I like better than others, but almost anything in my collection has its place and also its day. Sometimes a bit of Abba is way preferable to the Beach Boys and sometimes the Turtles hit the spot when the Byrds don't.
      And all of it - the appreciation of every note of music - is subjective.
      Good Vibrations...I've heard it so often that it rarely gets played now, even though I know it's a work of rare genius..

      Delete
    3. I sure don't like ranking music but there's a big difference between ridiculous clickbait articles like "Every Beatles Song - - RANKED!" As if there's some scale where you can accurately measure the difference between the 103rd and 104th Greatest Beatles song... But at the same time, I can use a guide through an unknown musical wilderness. My natural taste is for the short n' stupid: 3 chords and two minutes thirty seconds of someone yelling about how hard it is to be a teenager. I've been tackling jazz, taking a run at various "100 Greatest Jazz Songs" lists. I don't for one second think these actually ARE the greatest songs, they're just a slightly winnowed pile of grist for my musical mill.

      Delete
  12. I was staying with friends in Ogunquit Maine, whilst on a surfing surfari in 1975. Adjourning for breakfast at a nearby cafe, I was asked how I wanted my eggs. I said "fried please. Someone quickly apologised for my ignorance and explained that the English hadn't caught up yet. Nowadays, I've learned how to flip eggs over and put stuff on them, apart from HP sauce, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kimchi omelet, sometimes with cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say, Clar - it seems Paddy and Mick were looking at a parrot in a pet shop. Says Paddy, "Sweet mother o' Mary and what type of chicken is dat?"
      The parrot says, he says, "Can I help you, gentlemen?"
      So Mick says, he says, "Oooh! Sorry, sor! We thought you was a bird!"

      Delete
    2. You got that it was Irish, then - I worked hard on the accents.

      Delete
    3. Dialect humor....(are the Irish the butt of jokes in England? Is that a "thing?") Anyway....as it's the BB...I once had a 5 LP set of the Beach Boys from Japan. Classic hits...but they tried to add a lyrics sheet. The translator was not a native speaker of English, and to anyone outside kustom kulture, lyrics of lake pipes are lost on lots of lads. My favorite was from Fun, Fun, Fun: "She makes the eight-five hundred look like a Roman cherry at place."

      Delete
    4. The best Japanese-English lyric sheet I ever saw was for Elvis' "Jailhouse Rock" soundtrack CD. I've searched in vain for it.

      Delete
  14. Carl’s vocals on ‘Brian’s Back’ are my favourite of the entire Beach Boys catalogue. Spellbinding and joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you axed, Steve!

    Here's how I eat me yeggs of a morning:

    FARQUHAR THROCKMORTON'S BOTHERED EGGS
    1 Crack a couple eggs into a COLD greased pan
    2 Break the yolks into the whites with a spatula or whatever. Stir it up until it looks like a marble, or Planet Egg seen from space. You're not seeking an even color or consistency. Add a little salt
    3 Place on medium heat until the perimeter begins to whiten
    4 Gently poke the whole deal about with a spatula - this is the bothering bit - lifting and separating (like a Wonderbra)
    5 It takes less than a minute to cook. The secret is to keep the egg moving - don't let it sit down or flatten - you're looking to get a little air into it for loft
    6 It should be an attractive mixture of yellow and white, and glossy, not dry. If it looks like none of these, you ain't done it right
    7 Tip it out onto (say) a piece of toast with a slice of salami on it
    8 Take a selfie of it and send to your friends in prison
    9 Consume (I add a little gusto) while hot

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I eat eggs for breakfast, I like them over easy. I really enjoy the Beach Boys. I bought all their cd's once, when it was a 2 dollar sale. What a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A writer named Paul Quarrington wrote a novel called "Whale Music" years back about a lonely, fat, drug-addled musical genius that JUST MIGHT have been inspired by your Mr. Wilson. Can't imagine what you guys who are seriously vested in the Beach Boys might think of it, but I liked it. Damned if I'm going to digitize my copy for your collective convenience, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being invested in Brian Wilson - which I am, to an almost unhealthy degree - doesn't mean glossing over the bad shit he did and went through. It is impossible to ignore or excuse away. I doubt anyone with even a shallow interest in pop is unaware of it (although the brothers' use of heroin doesn't get talked about much). So we - the besotted - cannot be offended or surprised by anything any more. Could you digitise your copy for my individual convenience? It would only take a day or so and I guarantee I'd get around to reading it some time!

      Delete
    2. Let me save you the trouble: https://workupload.com/file/6yLqgfRWwCU

      Delete
    3. They turned the novel into a film!

      Delete
  18. Here's the Live Aid set:
    https://workupload.com/file/MPXWrt9fcZz
    It escaped my attention that the BB celebrated their 25th anniversary in 1986. Here's Ray Charles with the band at the Waikiki show. Ray's fantastic, of course, but listen to those harmony vocals - they just soar!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dWzSPf0Y30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the full video of the show in better quality.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYeV2bV0P0

      Delete
    2. Another version...confusing.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re7nFAMWMEE

      Delete
  19. I like my eggs from a chicken. Quails don't cut it. Ducks are too much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a sunny Tuesday in the south of England and I'm playing these two compilations (No Pressure Radio has been on my music devise for ages) and very much enjoying them, BB's need the sun shining. Then about 20 minutes ago it started raining, but as the music continues I have sun in my heart, lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Good Vibrations, Bambers!

      Delete
    2. The weather is really messed up here, I got sunburned on Friday, today is four seasons in a day (as those Crowded House chaps sang). Good weather for growing tomatoes though.

      Delete
  21. same exact breakfast every day for past 20 years,.

    layered cereal

    scoop home made apple sauce into giant bowl
    add some non fat skim milk
    a light layer of generic cheerios
    layer of sliced banana
    one more scoop of home made apple sauce
    large pyramid of fiber one original
    pour berries , blue, straw, black and razz over that.
    i never get tired of it, unlike my disgusting dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't know much about the Beachie Boys, but I listened to (and read about) The M.I.U. album while assembling a compilation for my own blog of albums "disowned and derided" by their creators. (Insert shameless plug here!)

    Tough to choose a M.I.U. song. Ended up with "My Diane" (written by Brian, sung by Dennis). Also picked one from Mark Everett's "Bad Dude In Love" album -- thanks for sharing that album, Farq!

    Today's breakfast is fruitcake and coffee. Many people complain about receiving fruitcake at Christmas. I enjoy them, and yesterday my wife baked homemade fruitcake. I am what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. only made it as far as "got down on m'knees" with the viddy. not my cuppa'.

    ReplyDelete