Friday, December 11, 2020

I.O.F© Exclusive! Neil Young Talks About Rare Gold Rush Track!

The fortieth anniversary edition of After The Gold Rush includes the previously unreleased track Break, a major archive discovery. Neil graciously agreed to be interviewed by valve radio for an Isle O' Foam© exclusive!

FT3: Hey Neil! You're looking great!

NY: Uh, this is radio, man.

FT3: I stuck this picture of Buffalo Springfield over the speaker. When you were great!

NY: Can we talk about the track? I'm really proud of Break. Not even the bootleggers knew about this one. Took everyone by surprise! [laughs - Ed.]

FT3: I just listened to it. Kinda puzzled?

NY: Right! David Briggs produced it. It's just me and my guitar, man. Purity. I wanted space, you know?

FT3: You and your guitar? I'm not hearing that. Or anything.

NY: Me and my guitar, sitting there in the studio, everything turned off. I wanted to turn everything off, see how the world would sound with everything turned off. Noise is pollution, man. Electricity is pollution. It was gonna be one side of the album. It's edited down from, I think, twenty minutes? Nearly twenty minutes. That's what I wanted. One side of, like, total ... uh. David [Briggs - Ed.] edited it down, and then it was kinda lost. But I found it again! The whole track. Gonna release it on the next Archives set. There'll be this, the single edit, and the original album version. Maybe a stereo remix.

FT3: Friend of mine [jcc - Ed.] says it's better than anything on Greendale.

NY: We're gonna tour it. The Break Tour. Me and Pancho and Lefty and Dozy and Grumpy. To empty halls, we're not allowing audiences in because Covid.

FT3: Well, that's one silver lining right there. Hey, I have to go, Neil - microwave just pinged.

NY: Microwaves are destroy- [tape break here - Ed.]

As a Foam Exclusive, the track Break is available to download in the comments.




28 comments:

  1. Take a break with Neil!

    https://workupload.com/file/vpE2Mw86VsV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich! Wow, it's almost Xanadu!!!!! Thanks Farq!

    ReplyDelete
  3. say what you will--and y'all will--and I'm no fan of his voice, but damn if "Time Fades Away" does not have a most satisfying cronch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That album just reeks of despair. Yet, its the one by him that I still occassionally play.

      Delete
    2. You sure that reek ain't emanatin' from your shorts, pmac?

      Delete
    3. As per usual, "all of the above" can and occasionally does apply.

      Delete
  4. Shorter than the four minutes, thirty-three seconds, I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that its recorded in mono - old school.

      Delete
    2. But none of youse bums noticed it's @320, which proves you can't tell the diff.

      Delete
    3. Its hard to discern in glorious monoaural.

      Delete
    4. The warmth of the analogue really glows, don't it?

      Delete
    5. If you play it backwards you can hear the gentle sound of Giuliani ripping one from the lawyer's table.

      Delete
  5. We always knew Neil at heart was a minimalist; frinstance that one-chord guitar break on "Cinnamon Girl."

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only think of one word:

    eloquent
    as always

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just in: double album "Break" to be released on Deutsche Grammophon early in the new year! "This will be my Metal Machine Music" avers Young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lou Reed concurs

      Spike Jones unusually silent.....

      Delete
    2. Rolling Stone magazine rolling out a seven star review in a preemptive strike...

      Delete
  9. No-one really does this like Neil does!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought that was Bond...............James Bond

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Greendale comparison/observation is right on.

    ReplyDelete