Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Best Album He Never Made - Now Available Again For The First Time!

In 1968, Michael Nesmith went to Nashville and recorded an album's worth of songs, mostly his own, with Nashville's own "Wrecking Crew", the studio musicians who constituted Area Code 615. There were no better musicians on the planet. John Sebastian wrote Nashville Cats about them. And Nesmith was an accomplished songwriter with a  bunch of tunes that deserved the best. The resulting solo album, spectacularly lovely as it was, never materialised. Because Music Business. Some of the songs drifted onto Monkees albums, others waited decades before Rhino anthologised them. Nesmith has denied (in his splendid autobiography) ever thinking he was inventing, or even playing, country rock. "I was playing country music," he says. But here, on several cuts, his pop smarts show through just as strongly as his country roots. Nesmith sings bang in the middle of the note, in the tensile tone so many Texans have, like stretched barbed wire, and the band plays with that country-sprung back-porch beat that never gets old.

So here it is, hi-fi enthusiasts! The best album he never made. That's okay. Don't thank me or nuthin'. I'm having more fun than you are.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this unique assortment of "songs we should all hear." I've "alerted" others who live in my neck of the net. Long live Mike, Long Live Micky, Long Live Peter, Long Live Davy, Long Live Red Rhodes (well, you know what I mean, I suspect). Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. A shitload of Old Woolhat coming up soon. In the meantime - is the free Wi-Fi working for you? Disappointing response to that, considering the cutting-edge nano-hybrid technologies I had to develop at my own expense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I can't seem to find the correct Road today, I'll place a Stealth Link here at the end of this abandoned Cow Path. It showed up in my mailbox yesterday... Oh, and this Nez link is dead, so if you can resuscitate it, that's be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re-up:

    https://workupload.com/file/Z99CKcXQYqK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mr. Throckmorton, I don't know if you deciphered my dilemma of not being able to re-locate the Wilderness Road article, so I'll de-stealth the link to Sold For Prevention of Disease Only since I recall some interest in their sophomore waxing which somehow inexplicably eluded success yet again in the hands of a brand new record company's ace marketing department. Also, swell to hear some hard to find Nez, so many thanks for that. Caught the man in concert here a couple years ago, and it was a very satisfying once in a lifetime experience, I must say. I think the Monkees fans in the crowd even enjoyed it, but I believe there were a few other fans of his RCA records besides myself in attendance; missing Red Rhodes, but amazed to have a chance to hear some of those songs in concert. It's up there with seeing Tom Rapp and Emmylou Harris, in small venues, back in the seventies, in my personal pantheon of live music experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! You meant Wilderness Road - it's in here somewhere, dammit. Either you crawl through the back pages or I do - how about you? I'll be pleased to re-up if you can find it. THANK YOU for this link. If you find it I'll up both albums in a new piece.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because he screwed up, mainly. Be right back.

      Here we go:

      https://workupload.com/file/swTVkgFwHXs

      Delete