Friday, June 28, 2019

Single Fantasy - The Yoko Ono Interview

This isn't really an interview in the accepted sense of the word. I didn't get the opportunity to ask Ms Ono about John's unreleased Single Fantasy album as she basically had her foot on my throat the whole time. What follows is a direct transcription of the contents of the tape, and I think her stream-of-consciousness delivery and elliptical zen-like utterances give us a better insight into her process than the normal question-and-answer dynamic.

"Single Fantasy was going to be John's album, always. I gave him the artistic freedom he needed, like snow in a very small room, a dark room, and this snow was my gift, but he said, I can't do this, mummy! Please help me! I'm all alone! And I said John you are strong, like an orange in a subway train that's slowing at a station, and it's rolling on the floor, and this is your strength, John, you can hold it. Can you hold the roundness? And he said, but what I've done is just me, like you're not there, and it's empty. And I said it's a beautiful album, John, it's like a drop of water at the bottom of the lake, and it's looking up at a leaf, and it's beautiful. But he said I need your talent, Yoko, only you can save the album, please make it my Double Fantasy! And he started screaming eeeeeee!!!!! and I screamed with him, eeeeeee!!!! and the air was full of tiny, tiny stars, but made of pasta, that were songs, and we painted our bodies with them and they became the Double Fantasy album."

1 comment: