Wednesday, November 30, 2022

"Dylan Deluxe" Preview - Exclusive Interview!


Nobody was more surprised than je when famed protest singer Bob Dylan dropped in [left, below - Ed.] to th' Isle O' Foam© yestiddy on a worldwide tour to promote the release of Dylan Deluxe, the long awaited legacy edition of his last album for Columbia in '73.

Relaxing poolside whilst [grammar - Ed.] Kreemé served her signature kidney n' rutabaga smoothies, Dylan was keen to put the record straight. It's a lengthy interview, and those of you who free-fall straight down into the comments (hi, Steve!) are going to miss out on possibly the most revealing interview the man ever granted.


BoB That album has been more misunderstood than anything I ever done. Ever. I got so sick at heart ... (shakes head)

IoF© Tell us the story, Bob. From the beginning.

BoB 
I was born in Duluth, nineteen -

IoF© 
(cutting in) Not that beginning. Of the album?

BoB 
Oh! Right. Yeah. It was a kind of fallow period for me. I wasn't writing much. I was in London, England, I remember, and Bowie, David, and me were in his apartment - flat, they call them, did you know that? It's like they have words for everything. Tuppence. That's like a buck. Fifty cents.

(long pause)

IoF© 
And? Bowie?

BoB 
Yeah. It was the end of the sixties -

IoF© 
It was 1973, Bob.

BoB 
- right. End of the sixties. It was like this fallow period for him too. He wasn't writing much. I don't know who came up with the idea, him or me, but we were suddenly talking about doing covers albums, you know, other peoples' songs. British beer is like soup. Real nutritious. They serve it in hospitals.

IoF© So you both decided to do covers albums?

BoB 
Right there. We were scribbling lists of songs we wanted to cover. David wanted to do a bunch of show tunes, Judy Garland, Ethel Merman. I was thinking of an American Songbook, standards, some obscure stuff, songs I liked singing in the shower. That was going to be the title - Songs From The Shower, like that Leonard Cohen album, only a double, there were so many. We got real fired up! Back in the states, Columbia weren't keen on the idea. Clive [Davis - Ed.] laughed at me, right there in his office. You can't fucking sing, Bob! Like it was a big joke, him and his asslicking ... asslickers ... I never forgot that. I went ahead anyway, got some musicians together, relaxed sessions, worked through my list. When I delivered the tapes Davis [Clive - Ed.] went, well, nuts, I guess. We fought, literally fought, throwing punches. At one point I hit him with this elk's head he had on the wall, stuffed hunting trophy, like he was this brawny outdoorsy type. He fell back through a glass coffee table, smashed it completely, and held up his hands, whimpering (tremulous, girlish voice) okay, Bob, I'll release it, but it'll be a single album, and you better fucking deliver on the next one or you're all washed up here!

IoF© 
Wow!

BoB 
Pathetic. So I did like this finger pistol at him and said there ain't gonna be a next one, Mary.

IoF© 
Ha ha! But in a sense he had a point, The album was trashed by everybody.

BoB 
Broke my heart. I was in this position where I couldn't defend it, so I kind of twisted the story, saying Columbia put it out without my knowledge or permission, playing the big evil corporation against the victimised artist card. I got back a little credibility. I lied to myself, I lied to everybody, and I crucified that sweet little album.

IoF© Bowie's Pinups was a success, though.

BoB 
He released that? 

IoF©
Uh ... so, this deluxe edition?

BoB 
It's pretty close to how I envisaged it, only the title's the same as Davis chose, the fucking genius. Just a bunch of nice tunes, sung when I still had a voice. It's probably my favorite album of mine.

IoF© 
Thanks for dropping in, Bob!

BoB
Thanks for the opportunity to get the truth out there, Farq. It's a weight off my mind. You want to loadup the album up for th' Four Or Five Guys©?

IoF© 
Gee! That would be swell!










15 comments:

  1. All kidding aside, I've always liked the Dylan album, and in this deluxe edition what I curated there's so much more to like! Loadup coming after I stare blankly into the fridge for a few hours trying to remember what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! So you finally got your hands on the polka remixes? (Seriously intrigued by this - so whaddyadone: enhanced the tracklist by interweaving some other cover versions from the bootleg series maybe?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stared into the fridge myself last night but was caught short when something started staring back . . . I'm not opening that sucker again any time soon, I can tell you. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that light that's supposed to go out when you shut the door? It's laughing at you.

      Delete
  4. Teacher! Teacher! he said the c-word, he said the c-word! Farq did, I swear!

    Where the fuck is Ed when you need him? Probably busy in a three way with Rholonne and Kreemé.

    Three way grammar studies, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is good read. I am smarter for it. ')

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should youse bums be desirous (and you damn well should, this being a World Exclusive):

    https://workupload.com/file/9d4Qyb9yRsr

    Bob tells me the package will come with an extensive essay by Jon Landau, where he basically asks for forgiveness ("I just didn't understand, was too blind to see") and reassesses the album as a "defining work not only of Dylan but the seventies".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when 'Dylan' was released, New York FM played 'Sarah Jane' quite a bit. Bought the album, listened to it five or six times, shelved it and later sold it. I'm interested in how it sounds to "2022 ears".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if it had been released (possibly as assembled here) today, without any taint of the back story, it would be better appreciated, simply for what it is - a relaxed, pre-unplugged session of nicely sung (and idiosyncratically chosen - this is Bob, after all) songs. No masterpiece, for sure, just a sweet listen. Most times, that's enough for me. Cue it up, let it follow you around the house into the garden. No problem encountered.

      Delete
    2. Good points. Also, my expectations for a new Dylan album in 1973 were very high. It's much better than I remember it being.

      Kudos for the rearrangement, and also the interview; a classic!

      Delete
  8. Bob Dylan’s 'Mystery Tape’ became “available” in 1992, with quite a few tracks new to collectors. It is thought, this tape was put together for the purposes of copywriting this material. Here it is; quite a diverse but unique tape.
    The three Blonde On Blonde bonus tracks are meant to be separate tracks, and all start and end in either total or near-total silence.
    The sound quality is excellent.

    https://mega.nz/file/ZGEixTZb#nsxzolPbAW6dQVdFePvQfP2gXwVHZV6gewUWxVOcIHQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the copyright stuff. Sure, there have been releases actually called "copyright extension" in the titles, but released in limited quantities in order to keep copyright in Europe, which has a 50 year limit.
      The Mystery Tape has "Oh Mercy" outtakes which were only three years old. Why would copyright need to be extended on these?

      Delete
    2. Oh Mercy, Infidels and other material not at copyright risk:

      https://musicbrainz.org/release/554202e6-2f92-4376-9347-51a42c20b5cb

      ... it's a mystery, ain't it?

      Delete
    3. With its rather idiosyncratic choice of material from so many eras, it reminds me of the very earliest Dylan boots. I'm thinking Great White Wonder.

      Delete