Tuesday, February 15, 2022

T.V.'s Bat Masterson's Modern Classics Dept. - The Erotic Orchestra

Genuine Foam-O-Graph© - accept no substitute!

You'll know T.V.'s Bat Masterson from The Gene Barry Show, where he played a suave dandy in the days of the Old West. "He wore a cane and a Derby hat, they called him Bat," went the memorable and sartorially improbable theme song. But did you know Mr. Masterson is something of an authority on prog-style modern music? He waxed loquacious anent his passion from his suite at the Happyland Hotel And Lube Bay, Hackensack, N.J.

FT3 Yo! Batman! Wassup, my dude!

BM Howdy! T.V.'s Bat Masterson here!

FT3 Right! Which you gots a album to share wit' th' Four Or Five Guys©!

BM I certainly do, Farq! It's The Erotic Orchestra!

FT3 You sure about that? On the cover it says-

BM Yes, yes, but this amusing play on words will get you more page hits and prevent the artiste from finding his work here! His wikipedia page is one of the sketchiest I've seen. Obviously self-penned, the discography is padded to the point of absurdity. He also claims to have toured and recorded with Zappa, but I can find no corroboration for that.

FT3 I like the bit where he mentions being "awarded" a U.S. patent for for his invention of a sponge storage and disinfecting device. What's the album like?

BM It's some kind of achievement, for sure. Eddie Jobson plays violin, and Ruth Underwood percusses, among the thirty-odd occasional contributors to the album. But calling it an "orchestra" is a stretch. It's mostly Jason on keys and vox. Mellotron is always good, though.

FT3 Well, thanks for the share, Batster! Would you like to sing your song for us before I let you go?

BM Surely!




23 comments:

  1. Could it BE any more obscurer? To qualify for this wonder wax from '78, simply count from ten to one backwards! In Arabic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. عشرة
    تسع
    ثمانية
    سبعة
    ستة
    خمسة
    أربعة
    ثلاثة
    اثنين
    واحد

    ReplyDelete
  3. classical or otherwise? Yeesh. Lucky enough to have one of my books translated into Arabic and it just looks like art to me, pretty, flowing art. As does the above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just watching Bat Masterson today on Pluto, sir. Hope that's enough of a tie-in as Babs already drew some beautiful curliques, sir.

    Sir Throckmorton III, if I may sir. Here’s one I think all of the 4o’5 Guys here will really enjoy if they just give it a spin, sir. In the spirit of IoF FT3 obfuscation, I’ll just call the group ---__--____.

    Favorite track for me is "Rock Bottom Ohio", but they’re all doozies, sir.

    https://mega.nz/file/v08CmZKI#cj22aHzk8BLRKx_FsviodJHf3Jt7oaZLjdUQirLG2hM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As sincerely as the honorific is meant - and humility becomes you - "sir" is unnecessary, and a little embarrassing (for you!). A simple "Mr. Throckmorton III" will suffice until you've calmed down.

      Thank you for the upload - my lab team is running it through the Spectro-Meter® it as we speak.

      Delete
    2. As to my comment, sir, I was not being honorific, sir. I was simply channeling Julian Barratt's character, the Nabootique shopkeeper Howard Moon, sir, from The Mighty Boosh. Sorry if I offended. Mr.T3

      Delete
    3. Did the Boosh ever take off outside of the UK? If not, a lot of people are really missing out.

      Delete
    4. I've seen The Mighty Boosh (TV show), but I don't believe it ever aired here in the USA.

      Delete
  5. I'd love to hear this if its got Eddie Jobson and Ruth Underwood on it. I've been on a Zappa Guitar listening session for 2 days, so this should distract me.

    I hope to listen to Point Blank today, will give you feedback (hopefully positive).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the album, plus extras. I haven't listened to it yet, so I'll be very interested in what you have to say about it.

      (Point Blank?)





      Delete
    2. Sorry not Point Blank, Pitch Black. I hadn't been vertical for long.

      Delete
    3. For the first eight minutes and forty-two seconds of The Pillory, I thought it was going to be a "Cheap Imitation" (Who sees what I did, there?) of the usual suspects of avant-garde composers. But then it gets somewhat interesting. Track two: In Light in Dark in Between (Movements 1-4) is the more accessible of the two, and to my ears worth repeated listening.

      My memory of Bat Masterson, is that it was good. But my favorite TV Western is The Wild Wild West

      Delete
    4. There's a case to be made that The Wild Wild West is the first manifestation of "Steam Punk."

      Delete
    5. What about the 1960 film - "The Time Machine"?

      Delete
    6. "There's a case to be made that The Wild Wild West is the first manifestation of "Steam Punk.""

      I think Messrs. Wells(as Steve pointed out) & Verne, beat them to it. But yes The Wild Wild West, is a huge influence on Steam Punk.

      Cool flick, Steve.

      Delete
    7. I agree with Babs, In Light in Dark in Between (Movements 1-4) will probably be the track I'll play again.

      Delete
    8. Ah! A light has shined down on me from heav'n! WWW the SERIES! Thought you meant the film with Branagh and Smith.
      In which case, I can't add anything as I don't think I ever saw it. Perhaps it didn't reach the UK.

      Delete
    9. Yes, it did, Steve. Just not Milton Keynes.

      Delete
    10. I've just watched some on YouTube. It doesn't ring any bells.

      Delete
  6. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Ten to one backwards in Arabic numerals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about click bait! Now that you've lured me here under false pretenses, where can I get this sponge storage and disinfecting device you describe?

    ReplyDelete