Saturday, February 5, 2022

Kurse O' Th' Kaftan Dept. - The Staccatos/Five Man Electrical Band




Older readers may remember our Pulitzer nom series Kurse O' Th' Kaftan®, which Noam Chomsky was kind enough to describe as "delightful ... at once wryly humorous, insightful, and strangely elegiac" in his Blogwatch column for the New York Review. The series traced the devious stratagems employed by flower power bands to distance themselves from the love beads and headbands at the end of the 'sixties, and it's my pleasure to continue the much-loved FoamFeature™ with this timely and provocative piece on The Staccatos, out of Canadia, who morphed into Five Man Electrical Band.

The Stacks, as they were known to the Lumberjack n' Mountie diaspora, released a number of singles and a debut album which gained some traction in the snow-girt timberlands of Canadia, but failed to make any impact anywhere they had record stores. A planned second album, for Capitol, Catch The Love Parade, had already missed the parade and was scrapped by the time the band changed their name to Five Man Electrical Band. Fabulous False Memory Foam Island© is pleased to offer it as a FoamExclusive™,  for the first time anywhere, together with the original cover art! Oboy!

The eponymous second album for Capitol [left - Ed.] also failed to make them the household name they should have been anywhere the household wasn't a log cabin with the family moose tied up outside. Maybe they couldn't afford the bus to California, maybe they couldn't get the shots, but staying in Canadia didn't do them any favors, career-wise. They were making top-tier sunshine pop with superlative songwriting and beautiful layered production, topped with stunning harmonies, in a country whose West Coast boasts the only permanently frozen surf in the world.

So anyway, the next album, '71's Goodbyes And Butterflies [left - Ed.] gave them, and new label Polydor, a much-deserved big hit single in Signs, with a move to a heavier, rock-credible style they amped up for Coming Of Age in '73. They're fine straight-ahead rock albums, but lack the cloudless sunshine happiness of the earlier recordings. And the striped hipster pants.


(Incidentally, if you can tell me what that is on the cover of Goodbyes & Butterflies, I'll be grateful.)



29 comments:

  1. Should youse bums be desirous of spinning these swell long-playing L.P.s on th' den Victrola, simply send postcard (or add comment) describing your favorite garment! Be it snood, codpiece, or magician's cape - what item of apparel gives you most pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Och, laddie, tis me kilt. Not many non-bifurcated garments for us lads, in this modern age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Siam, older men still wear the wrap-around cloth "skirt", but not in towns.

      Delete
  3. Schott Perfecto 118, the real deal motorcycle jacket. It's the one Brando wore in The Wild One. Bought it in the late 70s, it now has a patina to die for. Dress it up, dress it down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd be stunning in an anteater skin loincloth and pushed back cuticles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reminded of the punchline to an ancient joke:
      “The thong has ended, but the malady lingers on.”

      Delete
    2. There's something very funny about men in thongs, or Speedos, or....

      Delete
  5. My Last Punk Rock Jacket, circa 1983.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Fine Old English NoblemonFebruary 5, 2022 at 10:35 PM

      Please define "punk rock jacket", mine was a 50p Black Dinner Jacket from the Oxfam shop -quality stuff, lasted me all through Poly from 1977 to 1980.

      Delete
  6. My red leather waistcoat, from Cecil Gee in Shaftsbury Avenue. It belonged to my mate Tig and I won it off him playing cards in the mid sixties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take great pleasure in lounging around the house all day in my sweat pants -- the preferred work-wear of the modern white-collar Pandemic telecommuter everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A long sleeve black shirt with a button-down collar and dozens, no, hundreds of small red, yellow or white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could use a new CCM Gordie Howe jersey, as I tend to wear mine overly much and it's starting to look like Gordie's after the Gordie Howe hat trick, a goal, an assist and a fight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like my superhero pyjama bottoms, a couple of t-shirt in particular and a Japanese silk jacket that I've only worn once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sleeveless Oingo Boingo T-Shirt.
    California Dreeman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oingo Boingo...not a band you hear mentioned very often. I like their "Boingo" album, although it's a little overwrought at times.

      Delete
  12. There's just something about a man in a cheesehead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A black cape that my grandmother made me with a secret pocket.
    My life long friend dave and I would put on our monster makeup and walk around our small town (600) nad enjoy the looks we got.
    Except one day we were walking in the center of town (about a hundred feet from the outskirts) and this lady in high heels got out of her siver sports car and she had a leopard on a leash.
    Needless to say we were NOT the talk of the town that day!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some swell garb detailed here! Me, I have a pair of Italian Chelsea boots, zip ups, pointy toes, that I haven't had on me feet for what must be fifteen years. It'd be a stupid look out here, especially with shorts. Can't bring myself to throw them away.

    Loaddup coming shortly. Wasted on youse bums, but this is Ecstatic Pop of the Heavenly Harmony Church, a holy hymnal for sunshine seekers that'll give your soul an everlasting tan! The first two albums sit happily in a Spanky & Our Gang/Mamas & Papas/Association mix, and there is no higher praise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you for the pre-emptive thanks, John. Your courtly finesse has earned you today's Grand Prize - this swell glow-in-the-dark pocket protector, proudly emblazoned with th' IoF© logo!

      Delete
  16. Various hats and Adhere Blues Bar t-shirts, but these last ones have all disappeared. My wife claims to have no idea what kind of t shirts I'm referring to...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know much about a fav piece of clothes but I used to see The Staccatos play around town all the time when I was a kid. They had a friendly rivalry with The Esquires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was prone to jealousy, I'd be jealous about this. As it is, I'm happy for you. Love these guys.

      Delete