Friday, May 12, 2023

Vegas In L.A. Dept - The Pat N' Lolly Story!


Oboy! Have we got some swell *content* today! We gots readables, watchables, and listenables, and a bunch of deliverables, all *curated* with you, th' freeloadin' bum, in mind!

In the 'sixties, brothers Pat and Lolly Vegas (Patrick and Candido Vaquez-Vegas) wrote hits (e.g. Niki Hoeky) for big L.A. acts, sessioned for everyone from James Brown to Sonny & Cher, and recorded this here album At The Haunted House [left- Ed.], which is the swellest go-go music you're going to frug to all week! Half their own compositions, half covers of nightclub dance hits. Tough, hi-octane sound with quality vox, and I'm going to shut up here and copy out the liner notes:

❝ The most exotic discotheque in LA (where it all began) is the eerie Haunted House. The hottest new singing team on the West Coast is composed of Pat and LollyVegas. Put them together and what do you have? A great album, for one thing.

Recorded live above the dance floor of the Huanted House, these songs by Pat and Lolly Vegas capture all the excitement of the brand new California “bag.” Combining the soul of rhythm and blues with a go-go beat, this new sound has been an overnight sensation and has helped make the Haunted House into one of the most wildly successful nightspots in the country.

The House, located at Hollywood and Vine, has a most unique appearance. Its entrance is a complete chamber of horrors equipped with life-size wax figures of such infamous creatures as Frankenstein, Dracula, the ghoulish characterizations of Vincent Price, and many other terrors. The figures are so real-looking that Cassius Clay once remarked: “They even scare me. And, man, that means they’ll scare anybody.”




The ingenious bandstand, designed especially for Pat and Lolly’s act, features a monster’s head fashioned into a shell which pushes the sound up and out - making a microphone unnecessary. The actual sound comes through the monster’s nostrils, which blows hot steam which makes the sound even louder.

Because of the great success the House has achieved since its opening, the owner, Mickey Crouch, is planning similar Haunted Houses in London, Las Vegas and New York.

Although Pat and Lolly Vegas have been working together for more than six years, they are still young boys - Pat is 21 and Lolly is 20. Both are very talented musicians and songwriters. Half the numbers on this album are Pat and Lolly originals, and one of their previous creations,”Look At Me,” was made into a great hit by their close friend Doby Gray.

Working hand-in-hand with Doby and other young artists in the Los Angeles area, Pat and Lolly have been responsible for the creation of a new blues-rock sound that has already conquered the West Coast and is starting to make the biggest nationwide smash since the invasion of the Beatles.

So come now, past the hallway of horrors, and into the inner chamber, and listen to the magical talents of these two young men. You will have to agree that although this is their first album, it is not likely to be their last.
 

1967 - the year of Peak This! The actual sound comes from the monster's nostrils! In the same year, the guys showed up in It's A Bikini World, because of course they did, bottom of the musical bill after The Animals, The Toys, The Castaways, and The Gentrys. This movie classic is deliverable in the comments, in Fuzz-O-Vision™, the only quality available at this time. Imagine you left your glasses at home because you want to impress your date, or you're at a drive-in with a steamed-up windshield, and you'll be okay.


A
 A Golden Age of stupid fun - Pat n" Lolly made title sequence [see banner above - Ed.] but not lobby card

You'd of thunk the bros would be able to retire after this much achievement (already so much greater than thine or mine), but no! On the encouragement of Jimi Hendrix, who admired Lolly's playing, they formed Redbone, released some fucking great albums, and grabbed some global hits! Go bros!

First *eponymous* album was a double - rare for a debut at the time, although it rarely appears in lists of debut doubles. Note distinctive choogle-funk beat, with a little Norlins syncopation sauce, setting groove that carries you through four instrumentals, where they get to stretch out a little. Wah-wah guitar through a Leslie cabinet passes the time like cold beer in the shade.

Completely ignored by Allmusic staffers, sneered at by Christgau. Rated SWELL+ by IoF©.

Second album Potlatch, appearing same year (1970) delivers more of similar, with first Big Hit, the funktacular Maggie. Energy that lit up the Haunted House night after night dialled down half a notch to reflect fickle public's disinterest in frugging and go-go. Disc throbs along nicely - if it was a motorcycle it would be a Harley.

Amazon features my favorite review of all time: "I love it but ordered the wrong one. I wanted Beaded dreams. I will order it as soon as i move. I am moving on the 28th."

Third album Message From A Drum (retitled Witch Queen Of New Orleans outside U.S.A.) from the following year - making four elpee discs in two years - was the one that broke them in Europia.

The band had a long life, inevitably fluid lineups, Greatest Hit 
Come And Get Your Love in '74, but we're stopping here on account which me typing fingers is atrophied, and I have spooky feeling their best work - i.e. the stuff I like - is done by this point (prove me wrong).

Reviewed by Dudia at rateyourmusic: "Kolejny ciekawy album zespołu Redbone. Mamy tu ślady rdzennego indiańskiego rytmu, a także kilka ciekawych funkowych klimatów."




The wrap: it's hard to understand the relatively low profile of Patrick and Candido Vaquez-Vegas. Impeccable track record as songwriters, session men, performers. Energy in abundance. Helmed a great band and got funkified before it was fashionable - the connection from go-go discotheque to funk - possibly to disco - I bailed here - is logical and beautiful. Top tier early seventies rock. 










68 comments:

  1. To qualify for this Multimedia Blisterpack, simply come up with some other debut doubles (keep it pre-CD, and genuine debuts - All Things Must Pass don't count).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakout - Mothers of Invention

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago Transit Authority
    or were all of the Chicago albums doubles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I haven't heard it. I did own the 1975 Live album, also a double, so went back through the catalog. Now I'm curious about that Madura album. (thnx tak)

      Delete
    2. This is driving me nuts. I'm certain Madura have been Antecedently Foam-Featured®, but damned if I can find them.

      Delete
  5. Madura (1971)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwaveaux! An excellent choice - one of a few I was keeping by to add when the obvious ones had been claimed.

      Delete
  6. I bought the history of the bonzos album & did I ever wear those grooves out. btw - this is a mighty fine post. Thanks. - useo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That album isn't a debut, and so I'm afraid I have to pull the Lever Of Doom ...

      Delete
    2. Not a debut but I owned the album too. It would not fit on a 90min cassette. When released on CD it had the songs cut short. Like telling a joke without the punchline. Great album useo. I have played it to the kids and the grandkids. Pounded it into their little heads. Please Farq, have mercy for useo, for he knows not what he do.

      Delete
    3. Too late! That trapdoor opened beneath him. Harsh? Perhaps. I don't make the rules.

      Delete
  7. Hampton Grease Band "Music To Eat"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another obscuro I was keeping on the back burner! Kudos.

      Delete
  8. Or Derek & The Dominos. Layla. But Eric & Stills were already known. See: All Things Must Pass. But it's not my call. Goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layla was the debut album of Derek & His Dominoes, so it counts. George Harrison had his name on a couple of solo albums prior to All Things. Just because they're crap doesn't rule them out.

      Delete
  9. Godley & Creme went one better and released a debut triple album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Better" here is disputable - "more", maybe. I had that on vinyl, and ... yeesh. Can you think of a double debut, Steve? I have my hand on the Lever of Doom ...

      Delete
    2. It made a good single album eventually.

      Debut doubles? All the better ones seem to have gone, but here's a couple.

      An Evening with Wild Man Fischer
      and
      Welcome to the Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

      Get yer damn hand off that damn lever...

      Delete
    3. Wild Man Fischer gets my hand off the lever - good choice. But the Frankie album, very much in the CD era [see rules - Ed.], puts my hand back on it. Flexing my grip here, listening to the piteous cries of poor useo writhing among the albino crocodiles below ...

      Delete
    4. According to Discogs (and Wikipedia) - originally issued as double vinyl in 1984. Not released on CD until the year after.

      Delete
    5. Sorry, Steve. "CD era" means exactly that. You're scrabbling, here. Just let me see if the release on the handle is working ...

      Delete
  10. I have three more I can remember right now, possibly a fourth ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merryweather – 'Word Of Mouth'

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Sons of Champlin - 'Loosen Up Naturally'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of my reserves. Still have three left ...

      Delete
  13. Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency!
    Not his first album, but the first by Lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are saved from the Crocodile Flume by these two (count 'em) fine suggestions.

      Delete
  14. I'm really struggling here, but how about Douglas Adams – The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy? Originally released in 1979 with the words DON'T PANIC on the blue cover and double vinyl, based upon the radioplay.
    A follow up (part two) single album was released with a Red cover and a Farq stylee rubber duck on the sleeve in 1980.
    I know I may have strayed from the spirit of this, but as Ian Hunter might say "All of the Good Ones Are Taken", and nowhere in the question above did Farq state it had to be musical. Do I get by on this technicality or will I be buried up to my neck in an ants nest by morning?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just remembered, Patrick Woodroffe & Dave Greenslade - The Pentateuch Of The Cosmogony. So after Greenslade the band finished, Dave Greenslade teemed up with the illustrator Patrick Woodroffe for this lovely looking but awful sounding double, released in 1979.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I'm afraid it's the Jaws Of Hades for you, Bambi, as neither of these can be considered a debut album ... as a consolation prize, I'll toss a Crackerjack! pen and pencil set after you as I pull this lever ...

      Delete
    2. For those who are wondering about Crackerjack...

      https://youtu.be/54I9KKb2X9s

      Delete
    3. ...and you try telling the young people of today what we had to put up with, they won't believe you.

      Delete
  16. Alice Fell - Double Live at the Lompoc Flower Festival

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this on vinyl NO I DIDN'T, on account which you're making it up. You rascal!

      Delete
  17. How about Harumi's self-titled one-and-done (1968), and, like Freak Out! from two years previously, also on Verve and also produced by Tom Wilson.
    And also sold zilch.
    Whilst the first disc is a pretty straightforward psych-pop affair, sides 3 and 4 and more, how you say, challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freak Out! was the first to be named here, Dr. D. Tsk. But the Harumi disc is a good call and one of my dwindling reserve fund. I had that album, and was grievously disappointed. It's garnered some kind of rep since, but really it's pretty dreadful. He can't sing, which doesn't help either the straightforward pop or the *cough* avant-garde meditations.

      Delete
    2. I wasn't claiming Freak Out! as my suggestion - just noting its coincidentalities (is that a word? ought to be, consider it coined - ya heard it here first!) to the Harumi platter. And you're quite correct, Harumi's release has attracted notice beyond all comprehension. You know how it is with record collectors; obscurity counts for far more than musicality (c.f The Shaggs & The Monks, both amongst the more egregious examples of this phenomena).

      Delete
    3. Gee whiz. The Shaggs & The Monks. People pay actual money for that stuff. But have you heard the new Ed Sheeran? I thought I oughta, never having listened to him and wanting to get down with the kids. He sings exactly like the ginger-headed pig-fondling farmboy with body mass issues he looks. Whiny self-pitying "sensitive" songs with no discernible melody or beat. This is why Jesus' middle name is Fucking. He's a star, a millionaire. The New Dylan. I'll take The Monks over him any time, and I don't want them at all.

      Delete
    4. Hey thanks for listening to Ed Sheeran and confirming what I expected, so now I don't need to listen myself.

      Delete
    5. I have to say that there's not very much music around that sucks more than Ed's arse gravy. I honestly can't see his appeal.

      Delete

    6. If self-released (and obscure) counts, Armand Schaubroeck released a 3 LP set "A Lot Of People Would Like To See Armand Schaubroeck ... Dead" in 1972, followed by the 2 LP Live At The Holiday Inn. I have not heard them, the only thing that crossed my turntable was the Ratfucker LP.

      Delete
  18. And it occurs to me that Head, Hands And Feet's 1971 debut was a double in the US (15 tracks) whilst only a single disc in the UK (11). That should count. For Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was another I was holding in reserve, curse you! It absolutely counts, too. Double debut.

      Delete
    2. I can't find any explanation for this. They were a 100% British band with - as far as I know - no profile in the US.

      Delete
  19. I better get my remaining two in before they're named:

    Gypsy (which, like Madura, I'm certain has been AF-F™ but can't now find, dammit).

    ... and I remember one I can't remember, on either Buddah or Kama Sutra, a double concept with the musicians seated against a starry sky, on a trip into space. Has Scientology connections, or something. I think only Sitarswami can help with this. It's rubbish, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Septober Energy by Centipede (jazz/prog produced by Robert Fripp)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Say, fellows! Enhance yer leisure time by beating the living shit outta this here link!

    https://workupload.com/file/cCRJ7CF8RDm

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 13, 2023 at 10:44 AM

    Talk of discos, dancing and double albums (a triple alliteration to get you started), Frankie could never have welcomed us to the Pleasure Dome in Holyhead let alone Hollywood with a single disc in 1984

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, Mr. Opera, not only has your choice been aforementioned it has also been disallowed for reasons heretofore given, so it's the Lever of Doom for you.

      Delete
  23. I remember Redbone from Dutch tv, they had a huge hit with Witch Queen Of New Orleans and later We Were All Wounded At Wounded Knee, but had no idea about their earlier Pat & Lolly songs. As for a double debut disc, I don't think I even could afford one in my teens... Even so, I might as well jump straight into your Jaws Of Hades as I can't think of any :-(
    But many thanks for the music!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Warm Dust - Paul Carrack & co

    ReplyDelete